Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dr. Ashton Broadhead/arrow lethality studies on live game

Old 09-17-2003, 12:03 PM

Default RE: Dr. Ashton Broadhead/arrow lethality studies on live game

I read the entire thing. Very interesting study. Sounds like this TPI factor is a valid theory. My two main concerns are what single fixed blade head do on a gut shot deer compared to multiple blade head and also the accuracy you possibly loose shooting 3" long 1" wide single blade heads. I have never shot this type of head. Will they shoot well with todays high speed bows?

Old 09-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks to be a perfect compromise between flat shooting and high ke and momentum. A good goal to shoot for, no?
Range, the rule of thumb for a hunting arrow since well before I' ve been around has always been " use the heaviest arrow that will give you acceptable trajectory." Not the heaviest, slowest arrow or the lightest, fastest arrow. It has ALWAYS been a compromise and a good goal to shoot for.

brbowhunter, I seriously doubt anyone can get a 3:1 ratio head to fly worth a flip out of a short, reflex riser, low brace, high performance compound. Each and every little detail would have to be absolutely perfect, from arrow straightness, to head to shaft concentricity, bow tune and shooting form. It would make for a setup that' s way too finicky and critical. It would also make things way to easy for Murphy.

Put that head on a 500 gn arrow with 5" feathers, reflex riser bow, 40" + axle to axle, 8-9" brace, energy wheel or moderate cam at 230-250 fps, and it would probably work fine.

Old 09-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Art, what would you deem " acceptable trajectory" for those with a 28" draw limitation?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess that would be up to someone that shoots a 28" draw, wouldn' t it.

What' s acceptable to you might be overkill for me. What' s acceptable for me might give you a heart attack. You ever used the graphing trajectory calculator on Jacksons site? Take a peek at the difference between a 250 fps arrow and a 300 fps arrow sometime. You might be suprized at how little that extra speed does to flatten short yardage trajectory.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just checked that one. I usually use a different one that illustrates flight above and below line of sight, not straight out and " drop off a cliff" like Jackson' s.

Here' s what I got-

Yards 350grn@288 500grn@252 500grn@275
10 -2 -3 -3
20 -9 -12 -10
30 -21 -26 -22

500 grain at 275 is scary close to the 350 grain at hunting distances... Wow.