Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what makes a forgiving/shootable bow?

Old 01-30-2002, 06:31 AM

Default what makes a forgiving/shootable bow?

is there anything more important than another when determining how shootable/forgiving a bow is?...brace height?..cams/wheels?...bow length?...bow weight?...etc. i am looking for a new hunting bow. i am willing to sacrifice some speed for accuracy. my past experience dictates that i need a forgiving bow. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. i am heading to the bow shop in an hour, anticipating the 'most expensive bow is the one for you' gibberish........thanks guys
Old 01-30-2002, 08:28 AM

Default RE: what makes a forgiving/shootable bow?

if speed isnt an issue for you, id go for the highest brace height you can find.
(along with a bow that feels good to you)

my current bow has 8.5" and it is very forgiving. heck..even i can shoot well with it...LOL

Old 01-30-2002, 12:03 PM

i just walked in the door from the archery shop. seems like i am more confused now than before. i asked to shoot the most forgiving bows out there regardless of price. darton mag 33, sq2, hoyt havoctech, buckmaster g2 and the pse excellorator. the mathews and hoyt felt the best and were only a few feet difference in speed. the darton g2 and excellorator all felt the same with the darton shooting a little bit faster. all bows fell between 260 and 266 with the darton graphing at 277. so heres my dilemma: although the two highest price bows had the least vibration after the shot, they run anywhere from $70-$250 dollars more. somebody will need to confince me that it is worth the extra money.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slap on some limbsavers and a good stabilizer, and save the extra jack if vibration is your only concern and never look back...
Old 01-30-2002, 12:51 PM

rangeball, is it fair for me to use this philosophy or are there some advantages that i am overlooking?..p.s. do you know what would be the fps gain the g2 would get with an additional 10lbs of pull?..thanks
Old 01-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that all the speed in the world isnt going to do you any good if the bow is noisy. Rangeball is right though, a good stabalizer and other noise dampening stuff will help. I just like to know that the bow is quiet from the get go. Brace height is my biggest thing when it comes to forgiveness. It helps a lot.

Its all in what you can afford and what you like honestly. Whichever bow feels the best to you is the one you should get providing the price is what you are willing to spend also.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:56 PM

muzzyman, price really isn't a factor here. not that i have extra cheese to throw around just for grins, but i am willing to spend it if need be. i know right now the 'cool' thing to have is a mathews. i am just wondering if there is a comparable bow in terms of speed, forgiveness etc. out there at a fraction of the cost of a mathews.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:03 PM

It's Cool to have a What? A Hoyt, yea!
Hoyt! Hoyt! Hoyt!

Think I am bias? Maybe......

I get 290's fps @ 70lb 354gr 29" draw , And dead Quiet!! CyberTEC ----->

Edited by - grndzer on 01/30/2002 14:04:58
Old 01-30-2002, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

squidkid, generally speaking one can usually expect a gain of roughly 20 fps per 10# increase in draw weight, assuming the same arrow is used. Among the bows you tested, I'd really recommend you follow your instincts and get the one that felt the best to you, and don't worry about the money difference if your choice happens to be cheaper. They are all quality bows, so go with your gut... The vibration can be tamed with today's technology...
Old 01-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Also look at how much draw length adjustment you can get on the bow for fine tuning.

Darton's CPS cams are VERY flexible for draw adjustments. Mathews will force you to buy another cam module for different draw lengths outside of a few string/cable twists.

Not sure what other cam systems you were shooting on the Hoyt, PSE, or Buckmstr.

When you say "felt the best", do you mean draw feel or shot feel? Don't forget to compare how the draw feels on all the bows as well. Is there a sharp valley that'll rip your arm out of the socket if you creep a bit? Or are some of them more smooth?

Just some things to think about.

Quick Reply: what makes a forgiving/shootable bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.