Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Field points won' t thread into new arrows?

Old 09-11-2003, 08:03 AM

Default Field points won' t thread into new arrows?

I just bought some new carbon arrows and when I got home I tried to thread my field points into them, only to find that they didn' t fit. My broadheads(which also fit in my old aluminum arrows) fit into the new carbons fine, so I know the threads are ok.

I had assumed that all field points would be the same size & thread pitch, but I guess that isn' t the case after all...

I guess I need to go buy some new field points, but my question is this: Is there a way to know which ones I need without tearing open the package and trying one out?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Field points won' t thread into new arrows?

I just went through something similar a few weeks ago with my ACC inserts. Some broadheads and field tips I had would seat fully, others wouldn' t. Turned out the insert threads were to blame, and a quick reaming with an 8/32 tap straightened things out. I got the tap at a hardware store for a few bucks.

When you say won' t thread, do you mean fully or at all? If they start to go, but then don' t, chances are you need to do the same thing, especially given the fact that both the field tips and broadheads worked in your other arrows...
Old 09-11-2003, 10:35 AM

Rangeball, it' s not that they start and I can' t get them all the way in, it' s that they won' t start at all. It' s almost as though the field points are just a hair too big for the inserts, so they spin rather than threading in.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try turning them the other direction... Sorry, couldn' t resist.

What inserts/arrows do you have now? More than likely they accept 8/32 threads. If that' s the case, get an 8/32 threaded bolt and see if they accept it. If it does, look for field points this size...

Good luck
Old 09-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the threads in the inserts are too small, then retap the threads with an 8-32 tap. If it' s the threads on the points that are too big, chase those threads with an 8-32 die.

A tap isn' t all that expensive compared to removing and replacing inserts, but new points are a lot cheaper than buying a die - unless you can find one second hand.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:15 AM

I keep an 8/32 tap and die in my archery box at all times. My brand new Judo points, all six of them, wouldn' t go in because of a burr left on the threads of every single one of them. A quick pass with the die and all was good.

I own a True Value Hardware store and I think both of them cost less than $10