Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lack of Penetration

Old 09-10-2003, 09:24 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default Lack of Penetration

Buddy came over and shot with me yesterday. He' s shooting a High Country MaxForce, 63# at 28 inches. Easton 2213 XX75 26 inches with the overdraw. Caliper release off the string under the knock. He had a new string built about two weeks ago and got the bow tuned at the shop. The string is stretching, has about 150 shots through it and he has had to move the sight and peep a couple times. His cams are also out of time now, top cam bottoms slightly before the bottom cam. Now to the question, finally. He shot about 30 arrows into morrel bionic buck and had one arrow hit and bounce off. I was too far to the side to see if the arrow was tailing but it hit the target almost sideways?[] The rest of the arrows shot well and penetration was fine. We checked for vane contact with powder and nothing. Marked the said arrow and it was fine for three or four more shots. Can timing cause this? I' ve never seen an arrow do that before. He said it has happened three or four times since the new string was put on. Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lack of Penetration

I guess your buddy is prone to the occasional bad release (like we all are)? An out of tune bow and a bad release will really cause some silly stuff to happen.

If he' s got that many shots through the bow, the string has certainly creeped into their service length. It' s time to get the string and cables twisted up, everything adjusted and dialed in and actually get the bow shootable.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:53 AM

I shoot a tad under 70lbs of KE from IMO a very well tuned bow

And they will occasionally bounce out my Bionic Buck. That target will do it sometimes - Don' t worry about it
Old 09-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

R-a, I shot our club' s bionic buck many times with a 55 pound longbow, also very well tuned, putting out a whopping 45 ft lbs and never had an arrow bounce off. Maybe you should look into getting a " man' s bow." [>:][&:]

Couldn' t resist the dig (sorry), but that is a true story.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:26 AM

Ahhh.......But you have to hit the burlap bag part of it for them to bounce out.....

The neck and tail end foam never bounce an arrow out
Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Arthur,

I think you lobbed that one over, and R-A spiked it back.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup. So it would appear. Except I do notice how confident he is in talking about those shots in the neck and butt. Must be from lots of experience.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:48 PM

Wheeew! Art is fine-tuned today!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 AM

Mez

I have one of those bionic bucks. I am shooting a Bowtech Extreme VFT @290 w/72# KE. Every once in a while I have a arrow hit and bounce off. It happens with the buck not the bow, maybe it is why they call it the Bionic Buck!!
Old 09-12-2003, 08:45 AM

The BB will bounce an arrow back once in a while. It seems to do it more when it' s new. Once it' s softened up a bit, it won' t happen as often.

I would get that bow back to the shop though. It' s usually a good idea to break a new string or cable in and then reset timing and cam lean. The arrows could be bouncing back because they are not hitting the target squarely. The bouncing back seems to happen to me more when I make a bad release or hit high or low in the target.