Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 09-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2003, 09:00 AM

Default RE: serving moving

Serving, when properly done, should not move. Have it re-served.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:03 AM

I hate to break this too ya but you have to get it reserved, once it starts to come undone there is no way to stop it from moving and coming undone even more.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you serve yourself then run the tag end of the serving through the string...then start serving. I' ve never had a serving move on me, but I' ve always done this. I' ve seen this done on several occasions...some shops do it, some don' t.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have it reserves. Only don' t let them put mono on it. A lot of strings come with mono and the first thing that I do is take it off and reserve it.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll second that BobCo! Why does anyone put mono servings on in the first place? They don' t last at all! And they are ugly![X(]
Old 09-10-2003, 11:23 AM

Just had my LX redone after it creapt up. The guys at the shop hate the serving matieral that Zebra uses, My last restring on my jennings never moved in 2 years so I' m confidant that this one will stay put.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:04 PM

captn, something I' ve done for years on my bows as well as ones I' ve set up for friends and customers is I " glue the ends of the serving on" . First I glue the serving ends on for extra strength. Then take a small amount of unwaxed dental floss (or the synthetic Zebra material works as well) and put an end THRU the string then snug it up against the end of the glued serving. Then wrap half of it around the string and half around the serving, finishing up with appx half a dozen " X patterns" across the entire flossed section to tie it all together once glued. Then tie it off and coat it also with PlioBond. The end result should roughly be the size of one or two nocks, nothing big. Do that on each end and you souldnt have any problems. Oh yea, this is to be done on a serving that has never slipped or moved. Get your string reserved then do the " protection" method above. I likewise shoreup string loops and peeps with the same technique.

We even use the above technique to make nocks with, I havent had a metal nock on my string in years. They are tough on a serving themselves!

Gig em!
RA
Old 09-11-2003, 08:16 PM

I had to have my new LX reserved right after I bought it and my dealer told my that they had had someone serving the bows( at the factory) and wasn' t doing it right and did it for me for free.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:18 AM

When I reserve my center serving, I run the tag end through the string and then serve over it until I' m sure I have gotten a little ways past my nocking point. I then cut the remainder of the tag and continue serving. When I get near where I want to stop, I start to serve over a piece of extra string that has been made into a loop. I go a minimum of ten wraps over the loop and then finish by cutting off the serving, putting it through the loop and then pulling the loop back through under the serving. Lastly I tug on the ramaining piece of serving that has been pulled through. After it will no longer give any, I cut it off and carefully melt any last bit if necessary.

When serving I make the jig as tight as I can get it. After the first couple times around I tighten it right down so the serving material stretches itself and actually turns black when on the string.