Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 09-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trophy Taker help

Yes, that' s what it seems like it would do to me. If you figure it out let us know. I' ll be serving mine in tomorow!
Old 09-10-2003, 06:53 AM

Doesn' t TT put two strings in the package. A regular string and a stretchable string. If you use the string that stretches you should be able to achieve what your after, one would think!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:06 AM

Only two ways I know of

1) Attach cord to cable slide (wrap cord around rest tab then over it to slide)

2) Add spring to cord.

Good Luck
Old 09-10-2003, 06:56 PM

iv shot the tt for a year and a half now for 3d and deer hunting here and u can get it to support for a long time and the pressure doesnt pull against the cabel enough to hurt anything if u run it threw the cable and serve it in good it doesnt hurt a thing as far as i could tell
Old 09-11-2003, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Navy....i shortened the string on my TT to make it pick up sooner and stay up longer and it' s working out great and i can' t see any signs of added stress or wear or anything on the rest or cable. The instructions say 1-1/2-2" before you reach full draw but mine is staying up more like 3" and it shoots much better since i' ve shortened the cable. My broadheads are impacting same as field points and are stacking on top of each other.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:40 AM

I believe you are correct in your thinking on this Navy. I time my rest by shortening the lanyard until my point of impact doesn' t continue to elevate, then continue about 1/4" shorter to allow for any stretch that might occur. You can delay the timing even further with a spring setup if you wish, without directly putting additional tension or tourqe into the cables. This is how I have mine setup. I time mine much different than most people do. The rest is up 6 inches or so before full lock. At that point this spring starts to really do its thing. The spring is a Briggs and Stratton 260695 (governor spring). I had a broad assortment to work with and I found this to be the best match, although I wish it was a smaller diameter and had a CHROME finish . The spring rate is correct though.

-Chief
Old 09-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does the spring twang after the shot??
Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-12-2003, 09:36 AM

DaveC- that is something I hadn' t considered, partly because I only use this rest on my target setup anymore where (insignificant) noise is not a concern for me and second, there is a small amount of tension left in the spring/lanyard assembly even at brace. There is zero added noise my friend, trust me. This spring and the other I have found to have the correct rate are not " boingy boingy" type springs and don' t twang even when dropped on a metal cabinet or when held by one end and strummed. I think it' s a characteristic of being a pull only type spring as opposed to a spring with tension in both directions. Drop a spring from the rear of a passenger car and then drop one for a garage door.

Having this residual tension in the system keeps the lanyard clear of the arrow path as well; something that has kept me from having the warm and fuzzy feeling about some of these style of rests where the pull cord or cable can enter the arrows path. This is something high-speed film might verify is an unnecessary concern on my part (I don' t know) but until I see proof, I' ll be better safe than sorry (or unsure/ NOT warm and fuzzy [:-]). The setup I use insures the cord cannot reach the path of the arrow. I think Trophy Taker would have a better design if the attachment for the pull cord were to the outside of the riser, for clearance reasons. It just looks too close to me (and I shoot 2 3/8” fletch).

Bowscout- adapting a spring to the pull cord isn' t something I' d go into blindly my friend. I depend on this bow every weekend to bring home the bacon (well, actually cheezy trophies) so I' d don' t just throw a new component on without serious thought. This includes off the shelf products. We must think somewhat alike; because that was one of the first considerations I had as well. Finding the correct spring rate requires understanding the problem you have or had. It has been checked and verified, again trust me. There is only one " full up" position because of the built in launcher stop, only one. Talk about unexplained inconsistency and more than just occasional fliers[]. I' m fairly certain I have taken your concern in full consideration Bowscout.

This spring starts to load up a small amount as the rest begins its range of motion but is still at the beginning of its working range and is full up before you really start to uncoil it. To go past its effective range you would have to stretch it much farther than possible with the cable slide, so there is not a chance of elongating the spring and screwing everything up. On a hunting bow, where snagging the spring on something would be more of an issue, this is still a stout spring. I feel you have the same possibilities screwing up the manufactures suggested installation if you crawl through brush piles or whatever with your gear. For example, my hunting rest is an original Whisker Biscuit DT that has a simple cutout at the factory seam to load the arrow. If I hooked this spring to my biscuit at the top and pulled toward the shooting string, I would bend the biscuit past 45 degrees before this spring would overstretch. It is a strong spring. So to me, this WOULD be a huntable rest setup (I' d use the Shaky launcher though).

Thanks for acknowledging my suggestion guys, I was beginning to think no one was reading it. It might sound like country boy engineering but I believe there is a reason they include a " stretchy" hookup option with many of these type rests today and I have thousands of shots with this same spring with minor changes to the cord section only. I' ve settled on it as pictured above for some time now.

Let me make an offer. The first three or four guys (in the US) that are interested in trying one of these springs can shoot me a private message and I will mail them out one of a couple different springs to try (if I can send them in an envelope). Provided you give it a look see and just report back about it. Guys who want really advanced rest timing probably won’t get the full advantages the spring gives someone who tend to want to delay theirs. The spring shown in the pic lists for $3.35 (Briggs MSR) but I have a source.

Good luck to all my bowhunting brothers this season. May your tribes eat well…………

-Chief

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.