Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I need help with my arrow size

Old 09-04-2003, 02:23 PM

Default I need help with my arrow size

Hey, I need a little help. I am shooting 32 inch 2216, and according to Easton' s charts the recommended shaft for my bow is a 2419. Is it worth my while to go out and buy the recommended shaft, or just stay with what I have? Will it make a difference in my shooting? If I keep using the 2216s will it mess up my bow?
Old 09-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need help with my arrow size

From what little I know about aluminums (just learned today, in fact ), it appears the arrows you are using may be underspined. Are they tuning and grouping ok?

I think you would be hard pressed to hurt a bow flinging any aluminum arrow, as they typically always pack more than the 5 grains per pound minimum recommendation...
Old 09-04-2003, 02:57 PM

I' d say you' re underspined also. It won' t hurt your bow any, but I doubt it will group your arrows properly. You have an enormous draw length and if the charts say you need the big heavy 2419, I' d go with them just to save yourself some problems. One thing, that big old log is gonna be tough and should last awhile as long as you don' t start dinging them with other arrows. Those would be difficult to bend unless you were trying to!!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:17 PM

i to have a small draw at 32.5 yes 32.5 i shoot the 2512 in my set up they work good but i did not like shooting trees so i went to carbon. they are great with no prob.

good luck
Old 09-05-2003, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is your drawlength? And what poundage are you shooting? How is your broadhead flight, and what type of groups are you getting? Give us some more info, and we can probably help you better.
Unless you are shooting really light poundage, you are probably underspined. It won' t hurt the bow, but you probably aren' t getting the best tune you could have. I do know some guys that shoot long 2216' s, and they work fine, but it really depends on your setup. I' ve found that they seem to work much better in the 27" -29" range.

Arthur...this may be up your alley...32" shafts....[]
Old 09-05-2003, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

With a 32" 2216 you' d have to be shooting 110 pounds draw before getting to 5 grains per pound so... no, they aren' t going to hurt your bow.

Frankly, I think Eastons chart is insane! Way too stiff. But it does fall into the current philosophy of trying to get arrows so stiff they go through minimal paradox on the shot.

If the 2216' s are shooting well for you, then leave well enough alone. If you have to go up in spine, which I also think is likely if you' re shooting more than 60 pounds draw and hard cam, then try 2315. Basically the same weight as your 2216' s but a good bit stiffer. Next step up from there is the 2317, but that' s as much arrow as any sane person needs.

Just to illustrate the sanity issue, some years ago I was shooting 2419' s out of 90 pound hard cam compounds to 120 pound longbows and 2216' s from my target bow... an 80 pound Hoyt ProVantage with wheels. (Yes, my shoulders are paying for it now.) I draw 33" and these were all full length arrows. Unless you' re also shooting a Godzilla bow, you don' t need that heavy of an arrow.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Frankly, I think Eastons chart is insane! Way too stiff. But it does fall into the current philosophy of trying to get arrows so stiff they go through minimal paradox on the shot.
Gotta agree with you there Arthur, especially if you are shooting longbow/recurves. I have found the Easton Legacy Chart to work about the best.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:54 AM

What is your drawlength? And what poundage are you shooting? How is your broadhead flight, and what type of groups are you getting?

I think that my draw is 31in. I am pulling around 70#. I can' t get real good groups, but until I figured out that I' m not using the right arrows I thought that it was just that I couldn' t shoot very well. If shooting 6 I can get 3 or 4 in a simi-tight group, but I' ll have 2 or 3 that go astray.[X(] I have been bow hunting now for 4 years. I was more or less handed a bow and told to go hunt, so I don' t know as much as I would like about bow hunting, just what I picked up along the way. But I learn a little something new everyday.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that my draw is 31in. I am pulling around 70#.
It would be a big help to know what kind of bow it is and what kind of cams it' s got on it. If it' s an older, round wheel bow, then 2216 should work. If it' s a newer one, with high performance cams or single cam, then you' re probably overamping those 2216' s and need to bump up to 2315. Maybe even 2317. I' d only go to 2419 if I was planning to hunt something really big and hairy and needed a big punch.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:26 AM

Frankly, I think Eastons chart is insane
Remember the days when the only arrow sizes you needed were 2018, 2117, 2216, or 2219???

I think it was just a way to sell more arrows!

Quick Reply: I need help with my arrow size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.