Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Old Newbie needs help !

Old 09-04-2003, 11:37 AM

Default Old Newbie needs help !

At the age of 45, I got hooked on archery this spring, I’ve attended several 3D’s this summer with descent results, right now I’m in pursuit of my first buck – I’m absolutely thrilled about it.
I also enjoy long range target shooting, so my question is:
Would it make sense for me to outfit my new Jennings Trophy Master (which I use for 3D and hunting) with target shooting accessories like sight system, stabilizer etc. or should I buy new bow just for target shooting.
What accessories would you recommend?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Old Newbie needs help !

Hello, and welcome to the boards and the sport!

Absolutely I think it would be a good idea to obtain a target specific set-up if you wish to pursue it in a fairly serious manner.

The TM from Jennings is a nice shooting bow, but is definitely geared towards the hunting aspect of the sport.

I would suggest you go to a qualified pro-shop and look into a longer axle to axle, more forgiving/stable bow design that will help you rack up those extra points at a shoot.

In addition this makes it a bit easier as you are constantly changing the balance and feel of your hunting bow, and you will be able to get used to each one for what it is.

Ideally it would best to have your hunting bow and your 3D Target bow be the same exact model so the transition from one to the other will be minimal, however many folks prefer a shorter more compact design for hunting, so this is often not an option.

I would look at the Jennings Grandmaster which will feel somewhat similar (the grip especially) to what you have now. It’s designed for more stability w/ it’s longer Axle to Axle, and heavier mass weight. Also it uses the same cam system so the feel of the draw will be fairly similar.

Some other bows you might look at for 3D/Field/Spot shooting would be the Bowtech Pro40 (dualcam, energy wheels or singlecam version), Hoyt UltraTec and ProTec, Merlin Max3000 & SuperNova, Mathews Conquest, Q2XL & Icon, Martin Cougar IIIXRG, and Scepter III, and the list goes on, but those are all very popular designs. In general I would stay with something in the 38” axle to axle length and up range, and a brace height of 7.5” and up.

Again, get with a qualified Pro-shop which has some experience w/ target shooting as opposed to just hunting equipment.

Hope that helps some

Old 09-04-2003, 12:09 PM

Official Bowtech Homeskillet

Thanks JeffB,
My wife target shoots Bowtech Rascal, way too small for me, but I love the smoothness and high energy relative to draw weight.
Guess I' ll take a look at other bowtech' s
Thanks again for your advice.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:32 PM

Bow_Nut....Congrats. on getting into Archery. It is great...May the Lord smile upon you on you quest for your first kill....best of luck.
I agree with Jeff..if you enjoy the long range target shooting then purchase a Target Bow...It is hard to use one Bow for both, Target shooting and Hunting.