Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow efficiency?

Old 09-08-2003, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Bow efficiency?

Shouldn' t be any worms here, it' s something you can compute with hard numbers and measurements. Now for the Walmart thing, they are here to stay and it would be best to learn to educate the new shooters and hunters that the true pro shop can offer more advantages. Trouble is that the true pro shop is very scarce and the not so pro shop usually scares away those who know better.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Ok wwag, Which numbers do you use and what do you measure?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:34 PM

Sending people to you is a tease for complacency. Anyone who thinks differently is either a mass merchant themselves or is getting greased by them IMHO.
PW: When they first opened, yes there was a " tease for complacency" . They called in all the local shops and told them the same thing. Trust me, I saw through that ploy immediately. I don' t, however, get " greased" by them and really hope that that comment wasn' t directed at me. Knowing me as well as you do should, I think not.

Mark:
I guess you have to find a happy middle ground with as high a % as is practical given your particular shooting needs.
That' s about how I related it to you, but with a slight twist. What I was trying to relate was a happy medium between speed and KE. While you might be able to get more KE with a heavier arrow, you have to consider how much speed you' re willing to give up. It is our opinion that 6 grains per pound usually gives you a happy medium. With an established arrow weight, you can then proceed, using the relative numbers of KE to poundage, to raise your % through tuning. With my bow' s efficiency, it is not difficult to achieve 1.1 or 1.2::1. I' ve seen similar set-ups that would only get .9 or less::1. I' ve also seen some set-ups get higher than 1.2::1; but, the draw cycle that you have to accept is NOT to my liking.[&o] Remember what I said, I' m a HUNTER and I want a smooth draw cycle when I have to draw on Mr. Big while he may be looking.

Jeff: The people at Mint Spring know exactly how I feel. Their sales are way down in my store since the local mass merchant started carrying their line. This is in part by design and is also by default. They sell the bows at about 12% less than us; but, more customers are finding out that they' re getting about 50% less service. You should see the expressions when I have to charge those customers to straighten out the ' messes' that have been created. The charges usually override the savings by a substantial amount. What should be bothering the manufacturers is the bad taste that archers get when set up incorrectly. Think about how many either enter the woods ill-prepared or give up the sport because of frustration. Who gains and who looses?[:' (]
Old 09-09-2003, 12:46 AM

mlaubner, I simply shoot my chosen arrow through the chrono and then weigh the arrow. My present deer stomper does 254 fps with a measured 540 grain 2315 XX78 tipped with a Muzzy 115 grain head. 254x254x540 divided by 450240=77.38 foot pounds of K.E. from a 29 inch draw and 66 pound bow. I really like the way these heavier arrows perform with this set up compaired to my 457 grain carbons. The bow is quieter and has less vibration, just what I' ve found to shoot with extreme accuracy
Old 09-09-2003, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Len-

No, that reply was not directed at you in particular, just a general blanket statement. We can certainly discuss this more at the ATA, I' m sure some of the buying groups/backing manufacturers will be looking to hang me there anyway, so I won' t be hard to find! hehe As you already know, that is a VERY sore subject with me, and I' ve been round the block with it on more than one occasion lately with many people. Good to see others' opinions here as well, and surprising how many do actually agree with me on this issue if they stop to think about it for a minute. There is plenty of support... No need for us reputable dealers to be sheep lead to the slaughter for anyone or anything, we' ve already paid or dues well in advance.... Like I said they try for complacency, and that is nothing more than a tactic of preying on the weak. People are either leaders or followers, I for one prefer to lead. Especially when it comes to beating something that is directly affecting my livlihood.... significantly.

So if I got the subject off track guys, sorry-- hit a nerve, that' s all. Vacation in another month! Whoooohooo![&:] Good shooting, Pinwheel 12