Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP!!! Darton-magnum 33 or maverick express

Old 01-31-2002, 05:20 AM

Default RE: HELP!!! Darton-magnum 33 or maverick express

I have been considering the Darton Mag 33 along side the Q2. With the recent price increase on the Darton for 2002 - they are within 30 bucks of eachother in price.

I have shot the mag33 quite a bit at the shop. Here is my 2 cents:

Fast. Smooth draw. CPS cams are great. A little noisy and a little recoil.

Compared to the Q2 they (on paper) appear to be of comparable speed. The quietness of the Q2 is pretty incredible and I prefer the competition grip vs the Darton grip. Almost no recoil on the Q2.

As you can tell, I am having a tough time deciding. For hunting, the noise of the bow is important. My biggest question is whether or not the mag33 can be sufficiently quited with limbsavers and string silencers....to Darton or not to Darton?
Old 01-31-2002, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Drew-

What makes the CPS cams so good?

Silky smooth draw cycle- smoothest you'll find in a single cam with such speed associated with it.

VERY adjustable draw length- not like some other companies that force you to buy a seperate cam module to change draw lengths.

Timing marks on the cams- other companies are recently starting to follow suit and put timing marks on their cams to let you know if things have changed/stretched from where they are supposed to be.

Conventional string lengths- most one cams have 100+" strings which can creep and play with nock point position on your string. CPS uses regular string length and if it does creep, you nock point is still in the middle.

Even nock travel- other single cams are catching up, but CPS has had even AND level nock travel for years now.

Best design out there for a cam system other than a conventional twin cam.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:40 AM

I've never shot the Mag 33 but it has called my name many times. I own a Maverick Recurve Exp and its a great bow. Both accurate and fast and considering it has a relatively low brace height, forgiving.

Turc
Old 01-31-2002, 02:49 PM

Drew,

If I had to make a choice I would choose the Maverick over the Mag 33. The Mag 33 according to Len is a bit more sensitive like most shorter A to A bows, but a good shooter. But then, the new Rampage would have to be a consideration with the slightly higher braceheight of 7". About the same speed, but probably even more forgiving to shoot than the Mav. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the Maverick which is Dartons work horse. Its a tough choice, but you can't loose.

Aim Hard!
Old 01-31-2002, 09:10 PM

anyone have an approximate price on the rampage? the maverick? the mag 33?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drew I own a Darton Maverick express and just love it. It is fast accurate and even with its lower brace height it is a very easy bow to shoot accurately. I have a 32 inch draw and am shooting a 400gr arrow at 292 fps at 65 lbs. Great bow that you must shoot to believe. As for price it will vary but you can get one for low 500 here in NJ maybe even high 400's.

Brian
Old 02-01-2002, 05:12 AM

Well Drew...I guess I put my money where my mouth was....I just bought the Mag33 yesterday. $529 bucks. With limbsavers and cable silencers it is quiet with very little recoil. If you are interested in a short A to A bow - you should highly consider the Mag 33. Now that I finally decided on a bow and got over my initial impulse to buy a better known bow - I am glad I made the choice I did. After shooting for a while last night I can say this bow smokes! Light, short, quiet, fast, and oh what a smooth draw. As others on this board told me - you can't go wrong with a Darton!
Old 02-02-2002, 10:55 AM

Dear Jon: (just a little humor there LOL)
What size arrows did you go with on your mag. 33? What draw length are you shooting? What draw weight are you shooting? What fps are you getting with your set up?
Thanks ~DREW~
Old 02-06-2002, 04:54 AM

Drew, I am shooting 30 inch Carbon Express Terminators...about 10 grns per inch. I am shooting 68lbs, about 450 grn arrows, with a 29 inch draw. I have not been chrono'd yet..but hope to soon. My perception while shooting in my basement....smokin'! Once I get a chrono reading done I will share the results with you. Good luck.