Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anyone NOT useing a string loop ?

Old 09-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone NOT useing a string loop ?

I' ve shot off the string with a scott mongoose under a nock secured by a Tru speed nock, on a 30.5" ata bow at 28" draw, with no ill effects whatsoever, Arrow is secure, even on let-down, and bow is very accurate. Serving is also in great shape.

I' m currently getting ready to switch to a Gator Jaw release which mimics a string loop only with a straight behind the nock pull back, but it will still be off the string
Old 09-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve never used one. I' m comfortable with how I shoot and the only thing that I feel it would help me with is serving wear. But my serving usually holds for at least a year and half to two years, and by that time I need to have the bow re-strung.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was " anti-loop" for years. Hated the damn things. Finally after really getting used to one that was set up properly, It started to grow on me.

Now after abour 2.5 years of shooting one constantly, I don' t see myself ever going back to off the string unless I' m using a rope release on a long Axle to Axle bow.

Less serving wear was nice, but not a big concern for me. But I have noticed a big diff in tune-ability with various arrow spines, and added forgive-ness from torque issues and a too hard or too soft anchor. Also due to my build (short arms, very wide shoulders) it works with my form much better.

Some guys see a positive diff w/ the loop, some guys don' t . I' m in the camp of the former.

Old 09-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well,I totally disagree with the idea that you need to adjust your anchor to shoot with a loop.Your elbow position is the important element that seems to be forgotten.You should try and maintain a straight line with the elbow and if you put a loop on and don' t shorten your draw length,your elbow position will not be in line,at least for most of us it isn' t.For most of us it will now be extended too far.

That being said,I haven' t seen too many loose an inch of draw length if a loop has been installed properly.Most people would only loose about 3/8" with a loop that I tie but can adjust the loop for the desired draw length.

The biggest attribute of a loop is the ability to fit the draw length to an exact fit instead of being a 1/4" too long or too short.Secondly is the forgiveness the loop will add to a setup.Thirdly is the added comfort in knowing that if you have to letdown on a deer that the arrow will not fall off the string.

5-6 fps loss of speed is a non factor for any form of shooting and should be the last thing considered when deciding if you want one on your bow.Take a look at most 3-d pros and you will notice they have them on their bows.You know that speed is highly considered in 3-d but most go for the advantages of the loop over the 1 small disadvantage.

The choice is a personall thing and I have shot with and without and I mainly shoot one now for the reason of getting my draw length exact and still maintain proper alignment.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:05 PM

Man,alot of guys don' t have a problem shooting off the string [].I' m not sure why I am surprized,but WOW.I see room for a GOOD argument,,so to speak.I have used a loop for the last 10 years,,but I have gotta tell ya,,My freinds 28" ULTRA MAX feels GREAT.
Someone said a loop does' nt effect draw length,,,how is that possible.Your draw length stays the same ,but the BOW' s draw has to change.If you draw 28" to your anchor point,,then put on a 1/2" to3/4" string loop,,,,now your anchoring under your EAR.NOT GOOD !.
Next year when I order my new MATHEWS,,I want to get a 28" er' .I' ll feel like one of the " big boys" [:-],,,not the stubby arm dwarf [:@]
How much will that extra inch" get me ?????10fps.,,,[]
Old 09-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

DT-

The loop will effectively shorten your drawlength if you wish to maintain consistent anchor by the depth of the loop itself. However, by changing drawlength, you are also effectively bringing the string forward away from your face and natural resting/alignment position, and the peep will also be further out in front of your eye and in a different spot if you keep measurements. Like I said, correct drawlength is correct drawlength no matter the style or equipment, and if you wish to keep a consistent anchor point also, then you must shorten-up your release by the same amount as the depth of the loop. You NEVER want to shorten up your drawlength to accomodate for a loop, that string should remain in the same place as it always does, and if you need to work around the loop by adjusting the release or changing anchor then that is what you must do. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 09-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Off the string, no problem with arrow coming off the string on let up.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:00 AM

I only used a string loop for about a year. The reason why was that I saw other shooters at the local shop shooting with one. So I tried it. I never really noticed a difference in accuracy. But the one thing I did like about it was that when I was at full draw, I could twist my drawing arm slightly to a more comfortable position without affecting the bow' s level. It was a little weird at first, but I eventually became comfortable with it. I changed my set-up when I purchased a new bow and the dealer recomended that I not continue with the loop for various reasons. So anyway I managed to harvest 2 deer with the loop on, so I can' t say anything against it. Seems just a matter of preference.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot straight off the string.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

use one for target but after last year the string loop can be hard to find with the release also it is one more thing that can go wrong

Quick Reply: Anyone NOT useing a string loop ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.