Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Idiot proof archery- Bernie Pellerite

Old 08-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Idiot proof archery- Bernie Pellerite

Springgobbler mentioned this in another post. I' ve been considering buying this book (assuming the library doesn' t have it)...

Is it a good book to learn lots from, or is it a general/basic how to for newbies?

Any other books you recommend?
Old 08-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Idiot proof archery- Bernie Pellerite

I haven' t read the book so I don' t know. Just wondering though... if we idiot proof archery, would there be anyone left?
Old 08-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

As usual, you make a valid point...
Old 08-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boy Arthur has been really cynical lately. Maybe we should all switch to heavier shafts for a day or two to put him in a better mood.

Actually RB, I think JOE PA could answer this one really well for you. He was quoting a few of the techniques from that book when he was up at the shop on Saturday. He sounded like he was pretty well versed in it.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:36 AM

I am almost done with the book and have found it to be very helpful. I think since starting the book my shooting form and consistency has greatly improved.

It offers many techniques which you can use to become more consistent, and thus more accurate.

It is more than a ' basic how to book for newbies' , but I would suggest it for those just beginning...could keep them from learning bad habits.

For those that feel their shooting has room for improvement, I would suggest picking up a copy. You can read it, and incorporate the things you wish. I don' t see how reading it could make you " worse" , so there is really nothing to loose.

Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.robinhoodvideos.com/prod01.htm

The table of contents seems sound enough...
Old 08-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Frank mentioned, I am reading the book, and I am almost finished with it.

There are a lot of good tips on form in the book, and they make sense. Bernie does say " You don' t have to do it my way, you only have to do it the same way every time."

If you want to really get into what he is saying about letting everything other than aiming be done by your subconscious, you do have to put your time in on the blind bale shooting. I have HORRIBLE target panic when trying to shoot with fingers. It is much less of a problem with a release, which I usually squeeze like a rifle trigger, slow squeeze, let the pin float, concentrate on the target. I got about 10 days into the blind bale stuff, and had to shoot some for real to get equipment set up right. Then I went over and shot some with Frank, and it took a few shots to get onto the target center. That' s not going to cut it for hunting.

I am going back to my old form until hunting season is over, then after the season, I will take the whole " cure" which can last 42 days according to the book.[]

Some guys do not like the book or Bernie. I have not met him in person. I do think the book can be helpful if you have the time to do what he is saying. There are other ways to help your shooting that may be just as good. I guess hiring a qualified coach would be the best.

BTW, I got the book from Amazon.com and saved $10 over the advertised price.