Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shock Wave " alterations"

Old 08-27-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Shock Wave " alterations"

I bought some NAP Shock Waves the other day,to check their quality.As I played around with them,I found the blades open faster,smoother useing a small rubber band,like the ones on Rockets.The rubber band has to go above that o-ring notch.To the next " notch" in the blades.
Will this work,,,I think it will.I' m just not sure how much is needed to keep the head close through the shot.Anyone try this already ??[]
Old 08-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shock Wave " alterations"

I tried it when I broke all of the stock o-rings. With a loose rubber band in place (the kind used for braces) the shockwave would actually open up on it' s way to the target. I could tell by looking at the target face that it landed with the blades partially opened.
It might work better if you use a small rubber band like the ones that comes with the rocket b/h' s.
Good luck...........
Old 08-27-2003, 11:28 PM

The idea of the O-rings is that after VERY little movement by the blades, the O-rings will break and leave no more resistance to opening. A rubber band, while it might START opening sooner, will offer resistance untill the blades are at a 90 degree angle to the arrow.
Will it matter at all? I doubt it.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will work, and work well provided you you the smaller sizes. Keep in mind though that NAP does not recomend this, so anything that " could" happen is on you.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:27 AM

MAHLY 13, I don' t think your theory on how the rubber band will work is 100% correct.When I use 3 finger tips,and apply pressure evenly,all three blades roll back smooth, with little effort.They don' t " ketch" the rubber band until almost 100% open.For the most part, the blades stretch and roll the small rubber band,out and back.Now the o-ring,being that it is " stuck" in in it' s own grove in the broad head ferral,does' nt move one bit.The blades start to open,about an 1/4" ,then they have to " pinch cut" the o-ring to get to their full cutting dia......
Now,YES this works well,but I just thought the head " responded" much faster with the rubber band.YES, these rubber bands I' m talking about are the ones used with Rocket heads.
5 SHOT,,,Any easy way to test this set up to make sure the heads ARE staying closed on the launch.If I shoot through some sort of light paper,,maybe it would show ??,,what do you think ??[]
Old 08-29-2003, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot through paper at differn distances. It will tell it all.