Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sharpening Magnus Broadheads?

Old 08-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sharpening Magnus Broadheads?

Does anybody have any advice when sharpening the Stinger blades? I purchased the sharpener that Magnus recommended and followed the advice via the webpage, but they are just not " shave your arm hair" sharp. Would it help if I used some honing oil with the sharpener? (I think it is called Acusharp)
Old 08-26-2003, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sharpening Magnus Broadheads?

I thought the stingers were advertised and reported as " shave your hair" sharp right out of the package? Perhaps you got a bad batch?

5 Shot?
Old 08-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t know if they were shave your hair sharp out of the package because I forgot to check. The deal is that I have been using them to practice with because they don' t sell practice blades like Muzzy. I didn' t want to take a chance that they would fly different than the field tips and Magnus says they are resharpenable.(is that even a real word?) Anyway, they were not defective out of the box.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

That' s encouraging... How' d they fly for you compared to field tips?

Old 08-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Believe it or not they grouped right with the field tips with no adjustments necessary. I bought them per 5 Shot' s advice and then panicked when I read an article talking about cut on impact heads being hard to tune. Luckily no problems and I hope to tell you I had a pass through on a deer after this weekend! Season starts Saturday.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

That Accusharp tool won' t put a razor edge on broadheads. You can use it to establish the edge and then fine hone the edge with a medium grit diamond hone to dress it up. They will get sharp enough that you have to wear safety glasses just to look at ' em.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope to tell you I had a pass through on a deer after this weekend! Season starts Saturday.
Go Get ' Em...

Personally, I' ve never found cut on impact tips any more difficult to tune than any other style head... I' m sure the stingers will do a good job for you. They are a great looking head.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Aurthur P: Would a regular sharpening stone work okay? I have one of the Lansky type sharpeners. It would have been nice if Magnus had bothered to tell me what you just did. I' ve been assuming all I had to do was hit the blades with the Acusharp and I' d be good to go. Guess that' s what happens when we assume, huh?
Old 08-27-2003, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes indeed, milady. A regular stone will work fine as well. I simply prefer the diamond hone because I can use it with water and not get all messy with honing oil.

The Accusharp is really for those that don' t know how to hand sharpen an edge. I think Magnus recommends them only because there are so many people that are sharpening challenged these days.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, I think that Magnus recommends the Accusharp to be used with their " regular" heads which are carbon steel. The Stinger blades are stainless which in my experience does not work as well with the drag across style sharpeners.