Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow flight problem, help me!

Old 08-25-2003, 04:20 PM

Default arrow flight problem, help me!

OK- any help appreciated...
I have just plugged in expandable broadheads (steelhead 100s) and am getting consistent but different impact points when compared to my field points.
My setup:
70 lb bow, TT dropaway rest. Loop and release.
28" acc 3-60s going 267fps.
Three 3" vanes, 2 degree offset right.
100gr field point/bhead. Total arrow weight ~405 gr.
I have been shooting many years, and was just thinking that I was shooting as well as I ever have, getting 2" groups at 20, ~4" at 35 and ~6" at 50.
Pins at all nicely lined up and spaced as you would expect them to be on a well tuned bow.
Pro shop paper tested today, perfect bullet holes.
Now the problem(s):
First, I noticed a whistle downrange with the broadheads. This was solved by double-banding the blades.
The problem I have been unable to fix is the point of impact:
20 yds is dead on.
35 yards is ~3-4 inches lower than the point of impact for field points.
50 yards is ~4-6 inches lower, but more surprisingly is also ~6-7" LEFT.
The groups are pretty good, but those spots are not. Heck, my sight won' t even allow for one pin to be set out to the side of the others.
Steelheads are tiny. Their blades do have an offset (right) to them...but everything I am hearing is that they should group right where the field points are hitting.
Again...help!
Old 08-25-2003, 05:04 PM

Default RE: arrow flight problem, help me!

i had the same problem you had but with muzzy 4 blades . i went with helical flecth and my problem was solved.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:41 PM

Im not familiar with your drop-away, but you might want to check how long the arrow is contacting the rest before it drops off. It is suppose to be in contact with arrow as long as possible and fall away before the fletching contacts.

My hunting partner had a similar problem as you desribe, and we fixed it by keeping the arrow on the rest a little longer.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:08 PM

While that may help in some situations, generally, you want the arrow rest to drop as soon as possible. The idea behind a drop away rest is NOT just fletching clearance, but to NOT touch the arrow after it starts moving.
Basically, you want to rest to " top out" just as you start to roll over into the valley.
Basically, I would try to raise the rest SLIGHTLY to fix the problem. Why you are getting a 6-7" turn to the left in the last 15 feet when shooting 50 yards is beyond me at the moment.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:36 AM

easton' s tunig guide says if broadheads impact low, lower the knock point or raise the rest. until the two(field tips and broadheads come together) than set the pins on the sight. your not tuned as good as you think you are... Good luck...