Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

Old 08-27-2003, 09:19 AM

Default RE: 5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

PABowhunter:

An ax is designed to be capable to split a 2X4. That is the primary purpose of the ax. However, if you take an ax and start chopping metal pipe, steel barrels, concrete blocks, etc; some axes might fare well and do so for varied periods of time, some may not fare as well as others. Does that mean that the axes that held their edge longer are the better axes? No it does not. Temper and type of edge differ for the purpose the ax was designed for. A fine-edged ax might not do as well on pipes, steel barrels, and concrete as a cheap blunt-edged ax.

As for your statement, which seems to be the thought pattern of many:

I honestly believe that a little common sense needs to be applied here. If a broadhead cuts through steel, wood, rubber or any other type of material that it is shot through then I think we can deduce that it will effectively penetrate a deer' s body. Don' t you think?
What you have said was never the point. However, you do confirm that too many cannot see the forest for the trees.

Here is a point: Many of the broadheads that are not doing as well as others or are alleged to be poor performers (regardless of comparative aspects) in " 5 shot' s" experiments, are being used by many bowhunters who are reporting great performance and success; in total contradiction of the test results as reported by " 5 shot." What does that type of information tell you?

Or, for the purpose of loyalty and/or not wanting to stand on your own two feet, some of you would readily dismiss the facts obtained from actual field performance obtained by many individuals who provide independent reports obtained from more than one shot; and not shot into plywood, steel, and rubber, but into what the broadhead was actually designed for. [:@]

Old 08-27-2003, 09:46 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Although you did not say you are considering using the " Ultimate Steels," and that you were wanting input from those who have used the heads; although I have not yet used the heads under actual field conditions, I will relate to you what I have determined, and has convinced me that I will be using the head this season.
I let it die before but i' ll jump back into the fray. By your own logic these test prove nothing, yet you base you opinion on a test that has no merit. Until you shoot one of these into a live deer you can not be convinced that this is a head worthy of shooting at game. I could be wrong here, unless you intend to suspend an arrow from your treestand with a weight hanging off of it and cut the string when a deer walks under your stand. With consistancy comes credibility, without consistancy there is no credibility.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

c903,

In all honesty I am sure that I could come up with another group of examples to apply to this situation but I do not think it would make much of a difference. The general intent of the example was the important point, not necessarily the specific example used.

I think it all boils down to one simple statement. If any given broadhead stands up to more abuse than it would typically withstand on a deer, or similar game animal, then chances are it is going to do very well on a deer as well.

Many of the broadheads that are not doing as well as others or are alleged to be poor performers (regardless of comparative aspects) in " 5 shot' s" experiments, are being used by many bowhunters who are reporting great performance and success; in total contradiction of the test results as reported by " 5 shot." What does that type of information tell you?
I agree. I definitely think that many people are influenced by the subsequent results of his tests.....and to a certain extent his tests are overkill...and because they are overkill I am sure that there are certain heads that do poorly in them that would do very well on actual game.

However, his tests do still allow us to compare head to head even if you cannot always apply their scores to how they will work on game.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:28 PM

Wow!! All of this from one simple request. 5 shot you are the man.
I want to say something without having to put it into technical terms. I would venture to say that the majority of the people reading 5 shot' s reviews are people like me who don' t have a lot of money to spend on 10 different broadheads to find the one that they might like. I dont get free broadheads from companies to try so I have to purchase mine. If I' m interested in a certain broadhead I like to read what his test results were. He does not tell you not to use anything. I only get one chance to buy a broadhead so if I dont like I' m stuck with it anyway. His reviews are helpful to us low income people. Thanks 5 shot for all the hard work you do for all of us.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:42 AM

C903' s complaints reminded me of the old Ginsu Knife infomercials. Imagine if they made broadheads.....This broadhead is tough enough to puncture a steel belted radial, penetrate a 2x4, pierce a steel drum...and it' s still sharp enough to slice this tomato...

But seriously, I think PABowhntr has said all that needs to be said. Can' t wait to read your results 5 shot.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:20 PM

Jeepnut:

If a broadhead manufacturer were claim (advertise) that they purposely designed a broadhead to be " …..tough enough to puncture a steel belted radial, penetrate a 2x4, pierce a steel drum...and it' s still sharp enough to slice this tomato...," and were to guarantee the performance, then that broadhead had better be able to do what they claim the head was designed to do.

Although many things are possible, I do not know of any broadhead manufacturer that makes such a claim.

Try this test: Call the manufacturer of the broadhead you use. Tell the rep that you shot your broadheads through ¾" plywood, steel barrels, and vehicle tires; that the broadheads did not perform well, or did not perform as well as other brands, and you want your money back.

Then come back and tell us what the rep told you.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey c903 I will try that just for you. I will get back with you with their reply!![:-]
Old 08-28-2003, 07:59 PM

hey 5 shot maybe you should start shooting your neighbors dogs and cats then you can take off the disclaimer because then they will be tested on live animals that would make c903 happy maybe! as far as i' m concern you are the broadhead messiah of the internet!!!