Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

Old 08-26-2003, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

Sounds to me that c903, is just pissed off because GKF didn' t ask him to do the test![:@]
Old 08-26-2003, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I have been very critical of GKF because of some of the claims made about their fallaway rests but , man GKF tech I' m giveing you big kudos for haveing the nads to have an independant nonbiased person such as 5shot do testing and post thier results on these forums . You have my newfound respect , and by the way I have allways thought the premeir style rest you guys manufature as the best of the best in that style of rest .
Old 08-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me that c903, is just pissed off because GKF didn' t ask him to do the test!
I don' t know about that... I' m getting the distinct impression that he doesn' t need a specific reason...
Old 08-26-2003, 07:10 AM

I hope your feeling better C903. its tuff getting up on the wrong side of the bed everyday. test on 5 shot..
Old 08-26-2003, 01:24 PM

I repeat: my intent is not to criticize " 5 shot." I am only critical of the method of experimenting he is using and the misleading results that are obtained. Misinformation, allowing oneself to be easily misguided (hype), and blind loyalties are only a few of the conditions that have been detrimental to the sport of bowhunting.

Although " 5 shot" provides a " disclaimer that clearly states that he does not consider the test methods and the results to be scientific, and that " These tests do not reflect how a broadhead will perform on live game animals," it appears that too many readers are not (clearly) understanding what is being disclaimed by " 5 shot" and SOME are rejecting or selecting broadheads based on the results reported.

Whether performed by " 5 shot" or someone else, the testing methods are nothing more than entertaining and the reported results are dubious. I suppose one could say, " So what! No real harm no real foul, take it or leave it!" He or she would be somewhat correct; but not totally correct. When misinformation (hype) is accepted as being valid, it has a tendency to rapidly spread and eventually become a fact; although it is not factual. If you have been around archery long enough, you know that there are archery/bowhunting myths out there by the truckload. Where and how did the myths (misinformation) originate, and how quickly did the misinformation become a fact?

Question: If the test results do not reflect how the broadhead will perform on live game, then what do the tests show/prove? I suppose you could say that the tests superficially demonstrate that certain broadheads might, at times, hold up better than others when smacking into plywood, steel, and rubber. However, unless you shoot new heads each time into each medium numerous times, you cannot ascertain a valid and average performance value, and you cannot ascertain a valid comparative rating.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

The test results show, albeit through an unscientific method, how broadheads shot through similar medium compare to one another. Short of shooting a herd of penned deer, elk, pronghorn,etc., I don' t think you can do much better.

The two things that I look for in ' 5shots' test are this:
1) Are they sharp?
2) Did my broadhead perform exceptionally bad compared to another?

I don' t know how you can call ' 5shots' data misinformation and dubious. It has at least quite a bit more validity than anything you offered, IMO.

Old 08-26-2003, 02:14 PM

When 5 shot says the heads will go through a piece of plywood or the steel drum and the blades don' t break, then I am reasonabley assured that they will pass through a deer and do the job. Heck it might even be ok after it stuck in the ground. If he says they are sharp out of the box than I am reasonabley assured that I won' t have to spend a lot of time sharpening them. If he says the mechnical opens up in the orange than I' m reasonabley assured that they will work on a deer with a 60 ft lb KE setup. Matter of fact I bought some shockwaves last year and tried them just because I read 5 shots review on them. Guess what they did an excellent job on the deer. I killed three deer using them as a matter of fact. Good job 5 shot, keep it up.

Gees c903 I don' t see why you don' t get it... Wait I' ll bet you really do get it but just have to complain about something.... [X(]

Old 08-26-2003, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah guys, it is all of us who don' t get it.

The big C man OBVIOUSLY means no disrespect to Chris, Duh![&:]

He only (completely) disrespects the way he spends his own time and money doing all of those unscienific, unverified tests. [&:]

No individual disrespect was intended, it couldn' t be more obvious, now could it?

Besides, seemingly fanatical brand loyalty is pretty common in archery, isn' t it?

Imagine, testing GKF heads with a bow that has a " Whacking Basket" for an arrow rest, or nest, whatever.[&:]
Old 08-26-2003, 04:55 PM

In the end, after all is said and done, it (generally) boils down to how discriminating the individual bowhunter is. " Close enough!" and " Sounds good to me!" has always been discriminating enough for some, and will always be.

Joe PA:

Your diatribe came in just as I posted. Meaningless and contributes nothing. However, you have reminded me of what I have been aware of:

The only person whom seems to truly realize that there are other sides to a story, that there will always be opinions galore, that my criticism is not personal, and has handled the criticism with finesse, is " 5 shot" himself.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about that " whacking basket" I love mine!!!

Quick Reply: 5 Shot...We have a New Head to test...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.