Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

to drop or not to drop?

Old 08-24-2003, 01:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default to drop or not to drop?

do the drop away rests really carry that much of an advatge over my trid and true bodoodle. if it helps i currently shoot arrows with an offset rather than helical. i use steelforce 4 blade 100 grain broadheads but am thinking of going back to muzzy' sthis time in 100gr instead of my old 125' s.maybe they wont wind plane as bad.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: to drop or not to drop?

After shooting them for over a year; No, I don' t think Drop-aways hold any significant advantage. In the case of single-cam bows that have some nock travel, IME you are definitely handicapped by using one.

I certainly don' t begrudge anyone for using one, but I' ve gone back to conventional rests.

Old 08-25-2003, 06:38 AM
JKT

JeffB, could you expand your above post. I understand why a SC has uneven nock travel, but why is that more of a problem when using a drop away than anyother type of rest. I don' t disagree, but just wondered what symptoms to look for in groups, etc..
Old 08-25-2003, 07:32 AM

I understand why a SC has uneven nock travel, but why is that more of a problem when using a drop away than anyother type of rest
The biggest problem is that these bows require a little more arrow" support" to get through the initial down movement of the nock. When a dropaway is set up according to most of the instructions, and drops very soon after the release, the support is gone. The down travel of the nock will continue down and fletching contact is very hard to eleminate ,as well as getting a real good tune.

The simple answer is to support the arrow for a longer duration of the shot. But this is also very hard. When attaching to the down cable there is only so much pressure you can put on it, and only so much you can get the arrow to raise sooner. When attaching to the cable slide there is only so much load you can apply to it and stop the cables from mooving back on the rod.

Some bows and some rests just don' t match up that well.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some bows and some rests just don' t match up that well.
Rack, good thing you didn' t name names. That would be one long $#% read...
Old 08-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

so in other words since i shoot a single cam bow stay away from the drop away rests.?
Old 08-25-2003, 07:08 PM
8PT

iowabuckslayer, not necessarily so. I must be one of the fortunate ones that have a single cam bow without uneven nock travel. The drop away on my bow (NAP QT2000) works better than anything I have ever tried on it. It will shoot field tips, fixed blade broadheads and a bare shaft to the same spot up to 40 yards. I guess I would rather be luckey than good.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:17 PM

I think you' ll find a LOT of top shooters useing drop away rests on one cam bows. And they won' t use it if it doesn' t mean top performance to them.
EVERY bow I have put a drop away on shot well, and was easier to tune than shoot through rests. This includes several different 1 cam bows, and a few 2 cam bow as well.
Do a search on the Muzzy Zero effect, and see how many happy campers with 1 cam bows you find (LOTS!!!)
I personally shoot an ARC Systeme drop away, but I REALLY like the Muzzy too (In fact, I just put one on a bow for a friend...Mathews Ultra-Max).
I can get Muzzy' s to group with field points to 40 yards (haven' t tried farther) with nothing more than 3" " Kurly Vanes" with my Stealth Force.
Don' t fret nock travel...drop aways simply WORK when set up right.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tommy, I got one of them bows too...

Old 08-26-2003, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve heard a lot of good things about the Mze and i' m sure it' s a good fall away but i' ve never tried or set one up. I have tried or set up most of the others and i' m constantly trying out different gadgets. I just recently put a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter on my Parker UL35 and i couldn' t be happier. It does everything i' ve heard it would do, it' s quiet, solid, and simple. My groups have really tightened up especially my broadheads. I think i may just have to give this one a try this upcoming hunting season but i still have my trusty Golden Premier on stand by just in case i want to go back.

Quick Reply: to drop or not to drop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.