Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String loop stretch

Old 08-23-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default String loop stretch

A few weeks ago, I decided to have a new string loop installed because the one I had (only a few months old) had stretched too much. My draw length is already fairly short and I figured I could increase it by 1/2" (the next slot) if I shortened the loop significantly since it' s stretching was responsible for 1/4" of the drawlength (I just started shooting a release this spring).

The guy at the shop put a new one on and had it set where the release was just able to clip on the string when an arrow was nocked. Full draw felt essentially the same. The problem occurred after I brought it home and shot it a few dozen times--it' s now even longer than the one I replaced! [:@]

It' s on there pretty tight. Is there a way to untie one side, cut a little bit off, burn the end, and then retie it myself having never done it myself? Or is there a string loop material that won' t stretch like this to start with?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:00 AM

Default RE: String loop stretch

PSE loop material is really good. I wish we had that back up at the store. Now we have that camo braided stuff and it stretches big time. You have to tie one side, lay the excess flat along the string, then tie your other not, then get pliers and stretch it and it comes out about even. This stuff stretches big time though. Your probably going to have to get new material to give yourself enough rope to work with, otherwise your going to really frustrated. Dont try the super loop, theres a pain in the @$$. Go get new material, tie on another loop really really small, then stretch it with pliers and youll be good to go.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:13 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

I start them pretty short (4 - 4.25" ). A lttle tough to shoot for the first dozen or two shots because the release touches the nock, but works well once the loop has stretched into the length I want.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

hunter9022--I had a white colored string loop on first--I thought it had stretched a good bit. Then I got the camo braided crap you mentioned--you are absolutely right about that stuff stretching BIG TIME. In about 2 dozen shots it was already worse than the one I had replaced. I' ll see if I can find the PSE brand you suggested.

BTM--the 4-4.25" method (measurement?) might work for me too, I' ll keep that option open.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a 100 yard spool form BCY. It' s the black braided polyester material and it' s great. Very little stretch and easy to work with. I have to put two on yesterday. One on a guys mathews, the bow just barely fits him and the short the loop the better. I tied it so it would just fit the release on behind the nock. 20 shots later it is still is the same position. You can untie the not and cut and re-burn the ends. I will do this from time to time if I get the loop a bit long, just do it before you get to many shots into it or the knot is a booger to get undone.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

My experiences mirror some of the others. Down at the shop we have two different braided materials that we use for loops. One is camo and the other is black. The camo stretches like you would not believe. The black stretches but not anywhere near as much.

When I initially tie the loop on I end up leaving just enough room between the two knots so that I can slide a nock in there. Then I " wiggle" a phillips in between the loop and the nock (turned sideways) and pull to get the " stretch" started. What I usually end up with is a relatively short loop if it is done in this fashion.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep the camo stuff stretches for about the first 5 to 10 shots. I just tie the loop super short (I tend to use a longer piece of rope so I can cut as needed, and I am super careful burning the knot). W/ the release aid I use, and a tie in " eliminator" nock under the arrow nock, I am able to fit the head in w/out an arrow, and draw a few times it get it to the final length. This gives me ample clearance from the arrow nock to my release head w/out it being an overly long loop.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not to get off track but what the heck is an " Offical Bowtech Homeskillet" ???
Old 08-25-2003, 08:47 AM

I know the last one I put on stretched continueosly. I shortened it three times before it finally settled. I take a pair of hemostats to loosen the knot.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:27 AM

DaveH:

I always tell my customers that refitting any string loop is no charge if we put it on. We use a tool that allows us to remove one end easily to recut and burn it.

If you got it installed at my shop, please bring it back so that we shorten it for you. I' ve never seen one that didn' t stretch some. Just like strings, they will stretch for a while until they settle in. And remember, string loops do not affect draw length.