Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fun with my Chrony...

Old 08-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fun with my Chrony...

FINALLY got the chrony set up to work indoors (had to get creative with light rigging). Only had time to do a bit of testing today, so I decided just to see what my bow is doing as is then with a heavier tip.

Bow- Diamond Hornet, IBO rating of 318 fps, 70#, 28" draw shooting a 350 grain ACC, 75 grains of which is the field point, only thing on the string is a TRU speed nock and 1 (long story) leech on the lower half of the string.

Shot a 5 shot string, got 285.5, 289.9, 287.6, 285.7 and 285.6, 5 shot average of 287 fps. Translates into 64' #s of KE. I think that' ll push a rocket through a deer

I had always heard the rule of thumb was 1 fps lost for every 5 grains of weight added, so I screwed on a 100 grain ft, and shot another 5 shot string. Got 282.9, 281.5, 281.5, 282.2 and 282.5, for a 282 fps average, dead on the 5 fps " standard" and 66' #s of KE. I plan to group test all my arrows again to see if they like the 100 grain tip better. If they do, I' ll gladly give up the 5 fps.

Over all I' m VERY happy with what the Hornet is producing. I should add that at 5 grains per #, the hornet is very very quiet and vibration free (does have limb savers and an 8" stealth).

Just for chits and giggles, I grabbed a full length Carbon Express terminator hunter 6075 with a 100 grain tip that I picked up at Wally World last fall when I was tinkering. It is whatever length WW sells them at, 3 4" vanes and it flew through at 250 fps... Not sure of the KE, as I have no idea what this shaft weighs. Jeff or anyone?

Next test I want to do is trade my black oem cable slide for the all white teflon one I had on the bow before I sent it to Diamond last year (general tune up and new string/cable). When they returned it, the had put a factory slide back on it. Curious to see what if anything the aftermarket virgin teflon slide does. I also want to see the fps difference between no leeches and two leeches.

Later...
Old 08-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fun with my Chrony...

Quick check of Bow Jackson-

CE Terminator Hunter 6075 with 100 grain tip and 3 4" vanes:

If 30" arrow weight is 504 and at 250 fps= 70' #s of KE

If 31" arrow weight is 516 and at 250 fps= 71' #s of KE

If 32" arrow weight is 528 and at 250 fps= 73' #s of KE.

Never have my digital scale handy when I need it...

Had to go measure... it was killing me

The CE is 31" , so #2 above applies if Bow Jacksons weights are on, which I suspect they are...
Old 08-22-2003, 02:24 PM

With my Solo Pat I lost 5fps with the sims white teflon slide.

It pulls my cable and string much closer to the riser than the bowtech slide - I suspect this extra friction is the reason.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:55 PM
nub

It pulls my cable and string much closer to the riser than the bowtech slide
How does a slide pull your cables closer to the risor? I would think the cables are gonna cross the rod at the same place regardless. Then they will slide back on the rod the same unless they are held up by some other force. Such as a MZE arm or other fall away cable. But then any slide would do that if attached to a fall away.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:43 PM

Rangeball, the teflon slides I use are good for about 2 fps over the standard plastic one that came on my bow. Not enough difference to worry about, but, they kept things quiet. The plastic ones can cause a definate squeal when sliding across the rod.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:10 PM

Nub - I meant closer to the rod
Old 08-22-2003, 08:18 PM
nub

I figured that Rack. I just wanted to make you do a little more typing. I just looked at my Bowtech cable slide, it does put some distance between the cables and rod. I have a couple others in my tool box that are noticably lower profile. Should of bought a MZE with the new teflon slide. Quiet and most likely a speed increase.[:-]

When they returned it, the had put a factory slide back on it.
Did they return your teflon slide?
Old 08-23-2003, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

RB,

That' s good performance for a 28" draw and that brace height. Those PF cams are quick!

The Terms in the 60/75 size weigh 10.7 grains per inch, insert is 12, nock is 8 or so,stock CX fletches are about 24 grains...

Warning though. I' ve seen those Term' s vary up to 20 grains from what they should. I had six from one dozen that weighed 440- something grains average, and another 6 from a different doz, cut/fletched same-same- that were in te 460 grain range...
Old 08-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a chance this am to slap the white teflon slide on. Increased 2 fps. I plan to leave it on for a while to see if it' s easier on my cables. Signs point to yes.

Jeff, I' ll weigh that arrow when I get a chance. Curiousity killed the cat, which makes it a ok in my book...
Old 08-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

HEY!! I have a cat! and she heard that![]

Quick Reply: Fun with my Chrony...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.