Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release loop tuning question...

Old 08-21-2003, 11:02 PM

Default Release loop tuning question...

Up until tonight I shot my release off of the string. Even though I shoot a 40" ATA bow I let my buddy convince me that the release loop was the way to go.

An unusual thing happened. My arrow flight went visibily to pot. That, and it started hitting about a foot to the left. Hook the release back under the loop and shoot and everything was good again. I shot it through paper and I ended up with a major right tear. A bare shaft would tear about 6" [] when shot off the loop. Hook the release back on the main string under the loop and I was shooting clean holes in paper with fletched and bare shafts.

I know what the answer is... just shoot the damn thing off the string, which is what I am going to do. However, the curious side of me is wondering how a release loop could cause that much difference.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:46 AM

Default RE: Release loop tuning question...

Was reading Merlin' s web site and ran across the answer, I believe. Looks like I' m torquing on the string because of the increased draw length. ...Hmmmm...???
Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 PM

Default RE: Release loop tuning question...

Installing a loop without shortening your draw length means that your effective draw length is now longer. So you' re probably anchoring further back than you used to which would tend to throw things off a little. I would guess that your string may be slapping your arm a little with the loop now too? Just another symptom of that longer draw length. And if you are anchoring in the same spot with the loop, then your string isn' t pulled back as far as before and your cam isn' t in the same position it used to be at full draw. This could be another reason for your inconsistencies.

You' ll have to shorten your draw about 1/2" if you want to shoot with that loop. I' ve been experimenting with a loop a little this summer and finally decided to go back to shooting off the string. I adjusted the draw down, but never could get my loop tied to where it felt comfortable and allowed me to anchor like I used to. It seems the loop was either too short, or the loop would stretch and I would start anchoring further back again. Maybe I' m just too picky but it seemed like a lot of hassle trying to get it just right.

So I gave up on the loop and learned how to re-tie the center serving on my string. That way when I start to wear it out from shooting off the string with my release I can just replace it.