Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fun with a compass...

Old 08-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fun with a compass...

I just did something neat. To get good broadhead flight with fixed blades at decent speeds, it' s usually recommended to stay around 1" in cutting diameter. We all know mechanicals (for the most part assuming all the basic tuning variables are addressed) fly like field tips and offer large cutting diameters.

For chits and giggles, using a compass I drew a 1" , 1.25" , 1.5" , 1.75" and 2" circle.
Next I used my magination to superimpose them on a deer' s lung area.

Wow... there' s a LOT of difference in hole size, seems much more from 1 to 1.25 than 1.25 and on up each size.

I know a one" hole properly placed will kill them just as dead, but for blood trail purposes, larger holes look like they would rule.

I believe a quality mechanical has the edge here...
Old 08-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-25-2003, 02:39 PM

Default RE: Fun with a compass...

Take your compass and do the same to a 1 1/4" 3 blade and 1 1/4" 2 blade. Note the difference.
The diameter is the same for both. 1 1/4"

A 1 1/4" 3 blade will not fit in a hole smaller than 1 1/4" and the same for a 2 blade.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn' t reply cause I thought it was a trick question...
Old 08-25-2003, 02:58 PM

I agree with RA. The diameter would be the same for both. Now if each blade was 1 1/4" then NAVY would be correct, but that would be one huge broadhead.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:13 PM

IMO it is the amount of surface contianing blood carrying vessels, veins and capillaries that create the greatest bleeding. (A pair of collapsed lungs help greatly.)
All things being equal in size, depth of penetration and shoot placement the three bladed will cut the most. This will be of greater importance in a misplaced shot over a perfect shot.
The issue boils down to arriving at that placement and penetration depth. Which broadhead with your set up and your ability is going to get you there time after time must come first.
Further, if the shot is good and is a double lunger, it' s comes down to a matter of yard from impact to recoverary.
If you can make that hit with a larger multi-blade fixed bladed broadhead consistantly you are going to have more bleeding than with any other type.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can make that hit with a larger multi-blade fixed bladed broadhead consistantly you are going to have more bleeding than with any other type.
How bout a larger multi-blade mechanical bladed broadhead? Why would fixed have the edge over " any other type" ? This is where I think the mechanical has the edge, because it has more potential to be accurately placed over a large fixed head, which is more susceptible to wind or a poor release...

That' s what I' m getting at. If your set up allows you to consistently put a well placed shot through a deer, a larger hole will bleed more and leave a better trail than a smaller hole. I would suspect this would hold true for poor hits where the better trail is of utmost importance, and where I think a well built mechanical has the edge.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:45 PM

Rangeball:

Why would fixed have the edge over " any other type" ?
Think " reliability, penetration, angle, and KE requirement" and you will be able to answer your own question.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:27 PM

Rangeball. Ditto what C903 stated.
I do use Mechanical heads for Turkey hunting but that is because with all things being equal: Mechanical heads use part of the KE to open/expand and therefore, shot from the same bow will not penatrate as well as fixed. They stay in the bird where my fixed will zip through like paper. Now you could debate the various types of fixed vs each other and so on and so forth but that' s not my point here.

What Im saying is that if I shoot any fixed blade equally as well as I do anyone head (and I do) I will choose that head over the others for the reasons stated by C903.
Now if a person has greater accuracy with mechanicals to the point of a serious difference use what is best for you and your set up.
My 125 Thunderheads, 3 blade fix hit the same point as my field points. I get much better penetration with my fixed blades. It works for me, an enterance hole and an exit hole with my fixed vs just an entrance hole with mechanicals.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Fun with a compass...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.