Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Old 08-26-2003, 09:17 AM

Default RE: How would you rate your current hunting bow?

You all won' t believe what I choose for the primeary hunting bow this year.
I choose the serria tec by hoyt. A mid priced bow made for youth and women shooters. Why did I get it. First I didn' t want to pull more than 60 lbs, I find if I buy a 70 lb model I usually will try to crank it up and then pay for it with sore shoulders, so this year 60 lbs max. When I tuned this bow up I found it tuned the best one turn from full on the limbs so It' s about 58 lb pull. brace height 7 5/8 inches draw 29 inches.
Next I chnographed my hunting arrows. here' s what I got.
It will shoot a 300 grain arrow 293 feet per second. 57 ft lb of KE
it will shoot a 390 grain arrow 263 feet per second 60 ft lb KE
it will shoot a 430 grain arrow 256 feet per second 63 ft of KE.

So I can get 63 ft lb of KE from 58 lbs of pull which really amazes me. I find I can shoot a 350 to 430 grain arrow without having to adjust my pin on the pendulum.
It gets an A+ very happy with the setup..

The secondary bow is a Newberry bow. Newberry is a single cam bow. 58 lb pull 29 inch draw 6 3/4 brace height. It does about the same speeds but all are a bit slower. The 430 grain arrow shoots at 250 feet per second 60 ft lbs of KE.

Don' t know why the Serria tec is faster on the heavier arrow, maybe it' s the cam and a half and split limb combo.

Both bows are adaquate for white tail deer and both shoot great.. Very happy with both of them..

Only question is about the xt 200 limbs and the limbs on the Newberry. They are both fiberglass limbs. Does anyone think they will lose some of thier spring when the weather gets colder? Right now it is very warm outside and the limbs are quite springey. I guess I' ll have to wait for a freeze and then chonograph again to find out.