Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Old 08-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Frank, I' d love to see the mini-review...

I' ve shot the Diamond Hornet for the past 3 seasons, and love it. For a hunting bow, it does everything I want. Quiet. Accurate. Fast and looks good doing it. Coupled with the ACCs, I' m ultra confident with my set up. Only way I will change in the " near" future is if fps/energy takes a giant step over it' s 318 IBO rating, or if it can be matched but with a butter smooth draw cycle. I shoot it at 70#s, 28-29" draw, and while the draw cycle is probably harsh to many, it' s not to me. Must be all those years lifting weights . If I creep a bit and it starts to fire, I can stop it and bring it back smoothly.

I love my little hornet... 30.5 ata, 7.5 brace and very well built. For me it' s a 10.

Sight- Savage Pendulum Max, last years model with the non-round sight housing and one yellow fiber pin. Very well built, accurate and quiet. I wish the pin was smaller (.029), so based on that I give it an 8.

No-Peep- Will always be on my hunting bows... 10.

Rest- Savage quiet draw drop away. I' ve not had any problems with this rest, but the potential for problems does exist, so I give it a 7. I' m flirting with the idea of going back to a standard shoot through, haven' t decided yet.

Release- Scott Mongoose, works flawlessly, but I still can' t get used to a wrist strap. I give it an 8. I have a gator jaw (Thanks again Dave) that I' ve ordered a scott molded grip for, will most probably switch to it if I like it.

Arrows- ACCs. What can I say? Solid 11.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

I' ve gotta say that is some serious speed for a Q2 I' m not sure I would equate being able to shoot all year as any factor in determining how fast your bow is, but for comparison' s sake, let me give the specs from my Q2.

28" cam (28 5/8" AMO draw). 76 (seventy-six) pounds. 7 3/8" brace. Zebra String. tru-peep, loop, 2 string leeches. 445 grain Arrow= 265 FPS.

You' ve got at least 1/2" less draw length, and about 8 pound less draw weight with only a 35 grain lighter arrow?

Drop about 1.5 to 2% for the draw length. 12-16 FPS or so for the poundage, and then you would pick up about 7 to 9 FPS for the lighter arrow.

My Legacy: 28.5" cam (29 1/8" AMO), 70 pounds, just a loop and tru-peep, shoots a 400 grain arrow at 274 FPS.

And the Q2XL I had last year:

70 pounds. 28" cam (28.5" AMO draw), loop, tru-peep, 2 leeches. 460 grain arrow= 240 FPS, 350 grain arrow =274 FPS.

All 3 bows had the cams timed correctly and stock Zebra Strings.

I won' t argue that you didn' t see what you saw, but I will say that I definitely want your chronograph!

Old 08-21-2003, 03:25 PM
nub

I shoot more in a month then most guys do in a year.
This ain' t that other bowsite. []
Old 08-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My #1 Hunting bow is a 2001 Bowtech Pro 38 Dual Cam.

65#, 28" modules
Brace - 7" with the wood grip removed.
Whisker Biscuit with QS kit., trimmed
Archer' s Choice Grizzly 3 pin sight - all I really need.
Alpine Soft Lock Quiver
Either Carbon Express Terminator Select 60-75
or ACC 3/60 (both group field pt. and broadheads well and together)
Muzzy 100 gr. 4-blade.

Overall, I' d rate it a 9 (have to leave some room), but it is the best I have owned to date. Quiet, low recoil, accurate, fast - at least it seems it. Have not chrono' d it yet.

Backup is an old-school Darton Viper that is a little slower, has more recoil, may be a bit quieter, and shoots very well.

Time for tinkering to end, and scouting to begin get in gear.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:01 PM

Jeff:

You got me thinking about it. Ive shot it over a chrono quite a bit, but its the same chrono.

How close to the chrono are you shooting?

Dan
Old 08-22-2003, 04:52 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

2002 Bowtech BK II Tall Brace, works very well for me as a hunting bow. It is very fast, quiet and accurate. As has been said the draw cycle is harsh but I have no trouble handling it. It will definately let you know if you want to creep. Overall I would give it a 9. It is everything that I want in a hunting bow. It is hard to break it down but I' ll try:

speed 10
noise 9
accuracy/forgiveness 9
draw cycle 7
finish 7
quality 9
Old 08-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

champion hurricane 31" It is a good bow, A little on the short side I had a pse thunderbolt it was improvement for hunt but it lacks a little on the target side, and it has more sound then the pse but far tuning etc it is easier and draws better, the pse had draw stop which I liked it is smoother draw and faster at 65# then the pse
. It has a great brace i think 8.5" or 8. I would rate it around 7.5 also it has a great looking hardwoods paint job
Old 08-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

I generally shoot between one and two arrow lengths distance from the chrono.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' d have to rate mine a 10!! I wouldn' t own anything but the best, would I?

But seriously, after owning an 02 Patriot single cam, and hearing all the virtues of dual cams, I started thinking. Wouldn' t a dual cam Patriot be cool. Now I have one. It' s everything I had hoped it would be. Very fast, very accurate, very generous brace height, lighter, and better balanced. As set up the bow is deadly accurate well beyond my hunting range. Within my comfort zone I' m absolutely confident in my setup. Hopefully Mr. Big won' t make the same mistake as last year, and walk on the other side of the deadfall.[:@]
Old 08-23-2003, 06:11 PM

My hunting bow for ' 03 is my ' 03 BowTech Patriot Dually. 29 inch draw and 66 pounds draw weight shoots a 457 grain arrow at 273 fps. I have to rate it a solid 10 because of the tall brace height, ATA, physical weight and balance, factory grip, super accuracy and very quiet now that I' ve got the V-Blocks down by the limb pockets. I really don' t think the bow can be improved unless an ' 04 model sports ball bearings in the cams and has a shoot through harness. Right now, this hunting season, IMO, there aint nothin better

Quick Reply: How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.