Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Sterner-Duttera Rhino 31.
PA, for all us inbred, green toothed rednecks with inquiring minds.... What the heck is that??? Something the Pennsylvania Dutch came up with?
Old 08-21-2003, 08:49 AM

Arthur, that would be Pennsylvania Dutch who now live in Africa.

I' m currently shooting a Diamond Stinger. It was chosen exclusively for tree stand hunting in very dense forests. All shots are expected to be inside of 20 yards.

For this purpose, it' s a 9.5. It' s very quiet, fast, lightweight, high brace height, short ATA, no recoil and very low vibration. Just what the doctor ordered for this kind of hunting.

For ground hunting, and at longer distances, I would prefer a longer ATA. I' m currently in the market for a second bow in the 34-37" range.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:49 AM

Hey Arthur - you got teeth[]
Old 08-21-2003, 08:57 AM

I' ve been using the same bow for 6 years and the manufacturer is still producing it and will again for 2004 and probably 2005. I can' t think of any manufacturer who would produce the same model for this many years. Owning a PRO Shop allows me to shoot/own just about every bow manufacturered. I' m not saying that this particular bow is the best for most; however, it is the best ' overall' for my needs.

Yes, I can find fault with it. Yes, it has quirks that I' ve learned to fix. The bottom line is that the overall performance, fit and feel exceeds that of all the other bows I' ve ever shot. There have been a few that I' ve really wanted to replace it with for individual reasons; but, the negatives outweighed the positives.

Some day I' ll find a better bow for ME. Just not yet.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

RA, yeah, one or two. Been awhile since I took inventory.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA, for all us inbred, green toothed rednecks with inquiring minds.... What the heck is that??? Something the Pennsylvania Dutch came up with?
Art....

PA always seems to come up with something off the beaten path. ??? never heard of that one....
Old 08-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The word is " dutchified" if you are askin' ....

..and, yes, it is from Pennsylvania Dutch Country...actually Matt' s hometown of York, Pennsylvania. They are a nice little local company whose bows were shown to me by a coworker. Since I had never tried one, or for that matter heard of them, I decided to take a trip down to the " factory" to buy one.

It was kind of neat actually....I called down to the shop (which I did not know was also the " factory" ) and asked if they had any Rhino 31s in stock. They said " no" we sold the last one that we had in stock yesterday but I can put one together for you, when are you coming down?

I am sorry but that statement right there had me hooked.

I have not looked back since then. For those that enjoy shooting short bows this one is great. Sorry about that Arthur but the biggest one they make is only 37 inches from axle to axle..... They do make a 27 inch adult bow though....[]

www.sternerduttera.com
Old 08-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA,

What kind of speed are you getting from the Rhino and what is the draw length, arrow weight, etc.?
Old 08-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

SA,

I cannot answer that one as I have never chronoed it. I can though and will this weekend...as well as the Pat SC since I have not chronoed that either.

My typical seutp these days is either a 30.5 or 31 inch draw length, 430 grain arrow and a 70 lb draw weight. I was shooting 65 lbs for quite some time but the draw cycle on both the Rhino and the Pat SC seem to allow me to pull slightly more weight comfortably.

My typical speed with most of the other " shorties" that I have been shooting in recent years has been in the 270-280 fps range with the above mentioned setup and a 65 lb draw weight. I am expecting around 270 fps with the Rhino despite the extra 5 lbs of draw weight simply because the brace height is rather large at 8.5 inches and the draw cycle is relatively smooth.

I can let you know more later if you like. Perhaps a " mini-review" ....
Old 08-21-2003, 02:23 PM

Think what you want. I am fortunate enough to live in a climate that allows for 3D tournaments year round. I shoot more in a month then most guys do in a year. The specs are correct.

One of the problems with our sport is that it is filled with more opinions then facts.

Quick Reply: How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.