Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Old 08-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How would you rate your current hunting bow?

My bow is a 9.5--it' s me that brings down the overall rating[&:]
Old 08-20-2003, 05:27 PM

Wow with those specs that almost seems like a mathematical impossibility!
Silent - if I listened to half of the speeds I read on hear, I would firmly believe I have and have always owned the slowest bows in the world....LOL

Old 08-20-2003, 06:39 PM

Deleted. Wrong thread!
Old 08-20-2003, 09:46 PM

if I listened to half of the speeds I read on hear, I would firmly believe I have and have always owned the slowest bows in the world....LOL
Great quote...glad I' m not the only one!

I' m really pleased with my set-up...will be second year hunting with it.

CSS Swampmaster 33" ATA makes it easy to get in and out of the stand and through the thick stuff which invariably is between me and where I want to go. Very forgiving for being a shorter bow (If it is even considered a ' shorter' bow any longer). Have had zero problems other than self-inflicted...

Shooting GT arrows this year...verdict is still out on them...have had some durability problems and one very scary incident. (arrow imploded in front of the nock while at full draw!). Probably switching to CX or going back to good ole' Easton Aluminum.

With my current set-up (29" draw, 64 lbs. 100 gr. tips) I' m getting an honest 259 fps.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:14 PM

Alpine Stealth Force 80% let off
overall 9.5 out of 10.
The only thing I would like is a touch more speed...but NOT at the cost of that smooth draw!!!
Won " worlds quietest bow (compound at least) while being within 1-2 fps of the fastest bow in the test.
39" AtA and 7" brace.
Ball breaings in both the cam and idler
Wide string grooves to save my strings.
Wierd twin inverse mounted limbs.
and a nice camo pattern (just for the guys at shooting 5-spot [8D] )
It comes in MY size (31.25" ) and with 75 gn heads hits over 300 fps at 59 lbs (29" cx200 with Kurly vanes 3" )
Looks GREAT (of couse everyones opinion of GREAT is different)
I DID put on Winners choice strings...the day I bought it
It got me my first 300 game, as well as lots of venison
other add ons include
ARC Systeme drop away rest
Trophy Ridge Matrix
Alpine 5 arrow quiver
TRU ball Chappy Boss
String leeches, and teflon cable slide.
1 " Speed Ball"
cheap ass stabilzer w/doinker chubby on the end (elbow mount)
and ARC modular peep sight.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You won' t find me trying to sell my new bow as the one to have.
On paper it' s the bow half the treehunters want. Short ata-31.5, speed-323 ibo, moderate brace 7.25" . In reality it' s WAY to hard to pull, not just the #, the draw curve is full on from the second the release hit' s the loop until it breaks over. Very small valley. The word smooth draw is something I only remember from other bows I' ve owned in the past. Speed comes at a price[:' (]
The draw length is decieving and not very adjustable. Infinity- what a joke[]!!
Level nock travel- who needs it?? not bowtec.
The resale is terrible or I' d consider trading it in. For now, this is my bow.
In time I may come to love it, but for now I' m making due and can shoot it just fine. Last nights best 5 shot group at 28 yards= 2.25" . Good enough for me.

I rate my Bowtec Mighty(hard to pull)mite at a solid 6. Due to the fact they produced this bow with it' s current characteristics I will look at every other manufacturer out there before considering BT again. I don' t mean to ruffle any feathers, just draw it back and you' ll see what I' m talking about.
(maybe I' m being a little hard, it is only 5:00am while I' m writing this[&o])

Beman ics solid 8, they work great for me.

Rest WB quick shot deluxe- 7 does the job

Sights savages pendulum max tritium pin with 2nd pin- 7 , round sight housing is way smaller than peep diameter, black post of primary pin makes secondary pin hard to see, cost way too much. But it is SILENT!!

Broadhead- jury still out, but for now I plan on slicktricks (if they ever get here) for 20' up hunting, vortex mini3' s for low hunting and sidewinders for anything in between. And muzzy 100 3 blades if I just want to.

4 wheeler kawa prarie 400 4x4-8, 4200 miles and starts everytime and gets me there and back again.

Treestand api grand slam shooting star-8 very comfortable.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

For a change I am actually quite content with my primary and secondary hunting bows....and that really says something if you know some of my history.

Both bows are low noise, next to no recoil, very accurate and both offer at least reasonable speed with my typical hunting setups.

Noise-8
Speed-7 or 9 depending on bow
Accuracy 9
Recoil/Vibe 9
Feel - 9 or 10 depending on bow
Weight- 8 or 9 depending on bow
Durability- 10 on both counts

As for my personal tastes in a hunting bow...

-31 to 34 inch axle to axle length
-at least a 7, preferrably at least a 7.5 inch brace height
-less than a 4 lb mass weight bare bow
-IBO speed rating of at least 300 fps

The rest of the bow' s characteristics usually fall into place with the accessories and general setup that I use.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey PA, for those who haven' t kept track..............which two bows would they be???????????????
Old 08-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey PA, for those who haven' t kept track..............which two bows would they be???????????????

My apologies. I am currently shooting a Bowtech Patriot SC and a Sterner-Duttera Rhino 31.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot an 02 Patriot and I would rate in a 9. It' s almost the perfect hunting bow. I would prefer a touch more speed but it still gets me high 280' s with a 400gr arrow @ 29.5 inch draw. Noise level is comparable to most other high end bows on the market and the draw cycle for me is perfect. It' s a short bow that points and hold like a longer ATA model. The accuracy for the bow far exceeds the accuracy of the shooter (sometimes I almost feel sorry for it, it deserves some much better. It has little felt vibration or recoil but the original grip sucks.[:@] However, I have eliminated the torque factor by always shooting with a thin cotton glove (practicing and hunting).

Quick Reply: How would you rate your current hunting bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.