Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Let' s talk about MY arrows...

Old 08-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let' s talk about MY arrows...

With the talk going on in the tuning trilogy thread, I decided to check my arrows, to the best of my ability. I don' t have a straightness testor, and my arrows were cut to length off one end, so I' m at the mercy of how they shoot is what I get.

They are 27.5" ACC 3/49s, with 3 four" feather fletch, a unibushing, g-nocks and 75 grain tip. I numbered them using a piece of white sticky label we had around the office, between the nock and fletch, about 1/4" square with the numbers 1-6, as I only have a half dozen.

Shooting them at 25 yards, one arrow at a time, several shots each, I find that I can consistently keep them in a 2" " group" . IF I do my part, the " group" is much tighter.

I guess I got really really lucky, as each of the 6 appears to be flying identical to the others. I am currently counting my blessings...

Whew... another potential hurdle eliminated
Old 08-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Let' s talk about MY arrows...

Now that you' ve got the easy part over with... Put broadheads on ' em and test again.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, field point are almost always easy to group well. Broad heads are a horse of another color.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
nub

Now aim smaller. Try to index them all to hit the center of the X ring.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that the .029 fiber pin I use with the halo affect is pretty much covering a 2" circle on my bag at 25 yards, so that may prove difficult.

Now Art, you know good and well my rockets fly just like field tips. Why you trying to make things hard on me?

Thought I should explain how I' ve been practicing. One arrow at a time, concentrating on one shot. 9 times outa 10, the arrow lands on the spot I' m concentrating on.

I try to avoid simply flinging arrow after arrow with no purpose. My concentration probably wasn' t as intense as my usual practice sessions when I performed the above tests. I now plan to shoot a different arrow each day to see if they hit dead on like I have been.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Darn, you beat me to it RA.....I was going to add to Arthur' s comment by saying...

.." Make sure you shoot them with exposed blade broadheads..." ...

Old 08-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since they' re ACCs, and I know the weights are right on, wouldn' t this exercise show that the spine is pretty well matched as well?

So from this point, as long as they spin true (next thing to check) and assuming I use high quality low profile fixed blade heads such with a cutting width right around 1" , I would suspect I would get very good fixed blade grouping, right? If not, why? What else am I missing in the equation of quality arrow + quality broadhead + well tuned bow + good form = good groups?
Old 08-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

RB,

What else am I missing in the equation of quality arrow + quality broadhead + well tuned bow + good form = good groups?
Adequate fletching control for the fixed blades & inserts that are installed perfectly straight (ohh..I see you mentioned that..regardless, it' s extremely important and worth stating again)

Should be cake if you' ve got those two.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

4" offset feathers, I would suspect they should do the trick.

As far as perfectly straight inserts, I fail to see what kind of control one has over that. The ACC inserts fit TIGHT into the I.D. of the shaft, so unless they are/where machined wrong, like threads cut at an angle, they have to align with the shaft, no? Even if the shaft wasn' t cut perfectly perpendicular, if the insert is on spec, the head should still spin true, right, due to tight fit of the insert?

For spinning, I plan to take a shoe box with a notch in each end, and see if the tip point stays in the same spot when I rotate them. That should work, right? Len' s shop is never around when you need him