Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Now I' m curious

Old 08-20-2003, 09:49 AM
nub

Default Now I' m curious

Why couldn' t a guy put a couple of inches of serving on the string or cable at the area that moves through the cable slide? A reply in Racks thread on WC strings got me thinking. Especially with those MZE slides. Seems to me a tight serving in this area might prevent excessive cable wear. Shouldn' t really have any noticable speed loss if they slide through with no friction. The serving would hold more string wax I' d think. Looks like theres enough material in the cable slide to allow a person to open it up some if theres a bit of friction. String manufacturers will never put it there. They want you tearing up those cables.[]
Old 08-20-2003, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Now I' m curious

I think serving would cause much friction and really slow the bow down and probably chew up the slide.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:58 AM
nub

You must have missed the part about opening up the slide and more wax.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:07 AM

Sorry nub - Looks like I didn' t read most of your post

Trying to work (or look like I am) and posting can get confusing
Old 08-20-2003, 10:54 AM

I think it would cause lots of problems wearing the slide. It would be like a fine toothed saw going through the slide even if it was waxed. Maybe what would be better would be heat shrink tubing in that area but I don' t think I want to heat the strands of that material hot enough to get it to shrink and bond. What you have is what is best IMO
Old 08-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not very good at serving materials, but there' s a material out there that' s very small diameter and very smooth, silky smooth, when served very tightly? I' ve see the stuff used, but can' t remember the name. Maybe that would be a good investment.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:14 PM
nub

Could just be a matter of finding the correct serving material to use then. If I happen to run into a spare set of cables, perhaps I' ll give it a try.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ROLLER GUARD--maybe it is a good idea?
Old 08-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a Bear compound a long time ago that used a fastflight string hooked direct to the cams, but used steel cables. That always made more sense to me than having these creepy synthetic cables. That thing never went out of time. Never could keep the limbs from busting, but it never went out of time.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:52 PM

.019 halo is thin and very slick. I think it would probably work so well that you wouldn' t need a cable slide at all and could just keep the cables directly against the guard, which was pretty standard in days gone by.

Quick Reply: Now I' m curious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.