Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How far is too far?

Old 08-18-2003, 10:49 PM

Default How far is too far?

Just curious how far you can accurately shoot your hunting set up? What is the max range you feel comfortable shooting?

Old 08-18-2003, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far is too far?

For me, it would depend on the current weather conditions, and the attitude of the animal I was thinking of shooting.

Obviously, bad weather would shorten my comfortable range, as would the condition of the animal. If an animal appeared excited, or anything except completely relaxed, I don`t like to take a shot.

I know you probably want to hear a number, and I don`t have one. I can safely say that on a practice range, I can hit a 5" bull 10 out of 10 times with broadheads at 50yds.

Would I shoot a deer sized animal at that distance? I won`t say never, but I sure like those 15 yd shots better.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am the same as BC the closer the better even tho I practice out to 80 yrds.
My comfort range is around the 15 to 25 mark.
To me it is not how long the shot is but the challange of getting as close as i can.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:09 AM

I like to take my hunting setup to the range and shoot at 60-80 yards. It' s great practice and lots of fun. However, when hunting I don' t want anything farther than about 25 yards. For me, the challenge is to see how close I can get, not how far I can shoot. My closest shot was 6" . That was a real intense experience.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

My closest shot was 6" . That was a real intense experience.
Straight...
that doesn' t qualify as a shot....it goes under the " stabbing" category

details...please[:-]
Old 08-19-2003, 11:07 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I practice out to 50 yards and can keep all my arrows in the vitals on a 3-D target but wouldn' t shoot at game that far. 40 yards would be the maximum.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:06 PM

I practice out to 40 but wouldn' t shoot anything over 30. I actually prefer 15-25 yards as my ideal.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:43 PM

With an electric range finder and an animal that is standing still and you are feeling confident I think 40 yards would be appropriate.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:18 PM

Thanks Big Country. That was the answer I was expecting. Are most of you that have posted a reply shooting whitetails from stands, or still hunting mulies and elk in the mountains?

I grew up shooting whitetails in the mid-west where I rarely shot over 20yds. Now I live out west where there is a lot of action 40-50 yds. With a finely tuned set up, good wind conditions, a calm animal, and a laser range finder these shots can be taken with confidence.

Although I agree with all who stated they prefer the 15-20 yd shot, I think you would be greatly limiting opportunites if you did not have at least a 40yd pin while hunting the prairies and open range in the mountain states.

Thanks to all!
Old 08-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with everyone else in this. I regularly shoot 60 yards on the range and shoot rather well... well... most of the time. But in hunting situations, I still feel too much can go wrong, so I limit myself to no more than 40 yards. This shot still has to be pretty good weather conditions and a calm animal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.