Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How far is too far?

Old 08-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far is too far?

Can`t speak for anyone else, but, yep, most of my big game archery hunts are from treestands.

If I was hunting out west where longer shots were more the norm, I would expand my shooting distance, if conditions were right.

I would not go overboard, but I could see me going to around 50-60 yard max on elk sized critters. Like many other guys on this board, I practice a bunch, and I know my limitations.

Plus, since I am creeping into the " old fart" stage of my life, I have shot enough critters that I don`t lose complete control when shooting at game. Now, after the shot, I get a little silly!
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practice out to 40 yards. Hunting, I don' t shoot over 30 yards. 20 to 25 yard shots are gravy. If the biggest buck of my life stood broadside at 40 yards with no wind and no brush looking the other way and I was able to " rangefinder it" ............Yeah I' d shoot, but thats not going to happen.

God Luck!!
Old 08-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Never shot a deer any more than 25 yards. But if that ellusive Elk presents a good opportunity that I am comfortable with I' d be confident out to 40 yards but not a foot farther.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I practice at times out to 70 yards. I planned on being able to take shots at deer out to 40 yards, but I may decrease that slightly.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:31 AM

I practice out to 30 yards and hunt 30 and under.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:00 AM

I practice up to about 70 yards with my hunting rig. Most of my hunting is from a treestand and a small percentage from ground blinds. Under ideal conditions my max yardage would be 40 yards. Favorite range is 15-20 yards. I once killed a doe at 4 yards from a ground blind.....

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 08-20-2003, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

IBEP instructors around here have a good method of teaching you to be honest with yourself on what your maximum effective range really is. They ask when you enroll what your max effective range is. Then take a steel deer with the heart/lung area cut out and covered over with cardboard, painted the same color as the deer and start you at that range. The you have to run to the target and back, pick up your bow, nock an arrow, draw, aim and shoot with your heart racing, about like it would be when a deer comes into range. If you' re wrong, your arrow is dead meat.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:34 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Dan, I live and hunt in western SD. I do hunt whitetails out of treestands, but there is really no thick timeber here so a 40 yard shot out of a stand is very feasable. The wind is the biggest factor here, would have to be a fairly calm day for me to take a shot at 40 and that isn' t real common.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought I answered this already, but I guess not!

I feel very comfortable out to 35 yards. If the conditions are perfect I will shoot to 45....not likely, but I' m confident.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

When hunting, 30 yds. in an optimal situation. Brush, wind, rain, trees,... all affect that though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.