Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Difference between offset and helical

Old 08-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Difference between offset and helical

Another dumb question

Would someone explain what the difference is between these two fletching options as they relate to the arrow shaft? For some reason, I can' t quit thinking that the round nature of the shaft versus the flat surface of the vane base when applied " offset" would automatically impart a helical to the adhered vane.

What am I missing here?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Difference between offset and helical

I can' t quit thinking that the round nature of the shaft versus the flat surface of the vane base when applied " offset" would automatically impart a helical to the adhered vane.
It does. But you can only do a straight offset just so far because the ends of the fletch couldn' t touch the shaft. A true helical wraps around the shaft and keeps the ends of the fletch in contact with the shaft. You can helical fletch an arrow a lot further than you can offset.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range there are no dumb questions just dumb answers or something like that
heilical looks like threads on a screw . Offset goes in a straight line but is canted to the side .
Old 08-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

These guys are right on the money. A helical fletch wraps around the arrow shaft while an offset fletch is actually straight but not at the pinnacle of the arch of the arrow (cross-sectional view). A picture would be very handy at this point.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

A picture would be very handy at this point.
Amen... You had me up to " pinnacle" ...
Old 08-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think I need to see that picture too.... If you angle the fletch off the top of the curve of the shaft while it' s in the jig, aren' t you just putting it on top of the curve at a different angle of rotation?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, you made me go look at my arrows

Standing behind the nock, looking down the shaft, the front edge of my right wing 4" fletch is about 1/8" of an inch to the right of the back edge of the fletch. The base is in a straight line, no twisting to it other than due to the curve of the shaft.

What the heck is that?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

PA....ask and ye shall receive!

Old 08-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am glad I got called on that because my wording could have led someone to believe I was referring to trajectory when I made reference to the " arch" of the arrow.

Arthur,

Good question and I am glad you brought it up. Your logic is sound and I would assume much the same without actually seeing it. However, the width of the curve of the arrow in relation to the width of the fletching allows the fletching to be " offset" to the true center of the arrow. In other words one could consider it parallel to a straight fletch. Since the arrow surface is relatively wider than the fletching width you can still place it parallel to a straight fletch on that portion of the surface of the arrow while still not turning it into a straight fletch but from a different angle.

The picture above is somewhat helpful but I am going to see if I can put one together myself.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lets see if this helps.

Quick Reply: Difference between offset and helical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.