Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Difference between offset and helical

Old 08-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difference between offset and helical

Frank, based on that, my fletch is helical.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes a picture.....

Glad it helped.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' m thinking that 98 redlines picture is a bit more accurate. An offset does cause the arrow to rotate, but not as much as a helical. It is done by using a straight clamp that is offset from the top of the fletch to the bottom, either right or left. I have found it much easier to use an offset when using vanes as opposed helical. You can use a helical with the vanes, however there is a tendency for the vanes to go back to original straightness (before the glue dries). Feathers are usually put on with a helical instead of an offset for the same reasons. Unless you can find straight feathers.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 AM

I have a helical clamp and it is curved. It can also be set offset, just like a straight clamp. The fletching edge, where it contacts the shaft, is definitely not in a straight line. The helical clamp actually wraps around the clamp like a very wide thread spacing on a screw. The straight clamp does not wrap around the shaft.

I would say that 98redline' s sketch comes closest.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:45 AM

I don' t agree with your offset picture Frank. Or your just a terrible artist

That is no different than a straight fletch.

An offset does not run parallel to the shaft - it is offset from parallel like 98' s picture.

A helical clamp is shaped to gain more of an offset that allows the fletching base to match the curve of the arrow.

Your helical picture looks like an offset to me
Old 08-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well then maybe my description of what an offset fletch is has been off base for quite some time now. I have always assumed an offset fletch was just that....offset from the center of the arrow but still parallel. In all honesty I have a hard time seeing the difference between the offset and the helical in 98Redline' s picture other than the degree of helical to the fletching.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone take a picture , these drawings realy dont do it justice .

" I' m thinking that 98 redlines picture is a bit more accurate."

" I don' t agree with your offset picture Frank. Or your just a terrible artist "

totaly agree
Old 08-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, so now I' m back to the drawing board?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:25 PM

I think Redline is pretty close with his pictures. From what I understand, offset and helical are pretty much the same thing only helical is more exagerated. So offset could really be called half helical. Or helical could be called offset plus.

If you look at the arrow in 2 dimensions as in a photo or lay in on the floor and look down at it, the offset fletch will start in the center of the shaft at the nock end and will be offset at about a 2 degree angle toward the tip end. You should be able to see the front and back of the vane in this 2-D view.

The helical is esentially the same thing, except it is offset at about an 11 degree angle from back to front. When you look at one of these arrows in 2-D, the back of the fletching will be in the center of the arrow, but the front will likely not be visible (or you will actually be looking at the side of the vane) since the steeper angle will take it to the side of the arrow.

Old 08-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh... then mine are offset.

Quick Reply: Difference between offset and helical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.