Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead/fletch alignment

Old 08-17-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Broadhead/fletch alignment

I know some think this is necessary,while others think it is horsepucky. I know very little about all the tech stuff, but I figure lining up your broadhead and fletching can' t hurt, eh? My broadheads and fletching are about as far off as they can get, what can I stick in/by the insert to prevent the broadhead from turning so much ensuring alignment?

So how does this work with the wobble factor? If I hand screw in the broadhead and it does not wobble, is that test completed successfully? Meaning, can I then add ' stuff' to the insert to align the fletch/blades w/o testing again? My understanding is that if it wobbles you turn the blade further/less to lessen that wobble. Is that right (although I haven' t needed to up to this point)? So wouldn' t I be contradicting my efforts, or I am totally confused?

I hope I am making sense here. Let me simplify this...they spin great, but are not lined up with my fletching...what do I do?

Thanks, and I apologize for any potential headaches I have caused!

Old 08-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead/fletch alignment

Yes, it' s horsepucky. If it really was true, there is no way a 2-blade broadhead would fly with a 3-fletch arrow. It doesn' t hurt to have your blades with the fletches, but it' s not necessary. It is absolutely CRITICAL to have your broadheads spinning true, and where the blades line up according to the fletches to get that perfect spin, then that' s where they have to stay.

You do have to make sure your heads are seated in the insert though. If you' re talking about the kind that have an 0-ring between the head and the insert, then you can fiddle with how tight they squeeze the o-ring. Otherwise, you have to either swith heads around until you find the one that works with each insert, or you can try pushing sideways against the point to force the head into alignment.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:46 PM

Its not really necessary, but it doesnt hurt. I sort of align my 3 blade heads, and with my two blades i align them with the nock so that there straight up and down. Doesnt hurt, and it gives you something to do. If you want to align them though, just heat the head up, screw it in, ad a little more heat to the head and twist till its aligned. If its aluminum, you can heat up the arrow. As for balancing, ad slight pressure to the head to get it " bent" back the direction it needs to straighton out.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:00 PM

I think it matters when you start shooting longer range, say over 40 yds. The guys I hunt with scew the broadhead in tight then heat the broadhead up until the hot glue loosens, then you can turn the insert to where it needs to be.

Don' t heat the arrow shaft.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not everybody uses hot melt, especially on carbons. If they used epoxy or such, heating the broadhead to melt the glue and move the insert could easily result in a melted carbon arrow.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is absolutely CRITICAL to have your broadheads spinning true, and where the blades line up according to the fletches to get that perfect spin, then that' s where they have to stay.
I understand how important it is to have the broadheads spinning true. But, I' m not sure what you mean in the second part. " blades line up according to the fletches" , I thought that you said in the first sentance that it was hogpucky. Could you explain a bit further?
Old 08-18-2003, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it' s horsepucky.
Amen Arthur! One of the old wives tales....

Bob, what he meant was...after you get the head on the shaft straight, wherever the blades are (in relation to the fletchings)...that' s where they stay...it doesn' t matter where they line up
Old 08-18-2003, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob, what he meant was...after you get the head on the shaft straight, wherever the blades are (in relation to the fletchings)...that' s where they stay...it doesn' t matter where they line up
Yep. That' s what I was trying to say, just my fingers didn' t translate it good enough.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:12 AM

Thanks guys...and I' m glad there wasn' t a verbal battle on this one, as I have read info in the past that kinda supports both sides.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:13 AM
nub

Personally, I like to turn all mine the same. I like to see one of the 3 blades pointing straigh up. That puts them between each fletch on a cock feather down nock. If they don' t spin true, I' ll try a different shaft or head. Sooner or later I' ll end up with enough that all present the same site picture. Just gives me peace of mind and something to do.

Quick Reply: Broadhead/fletch alignment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.