Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to spin test an arrow?

Old 08-17-2003, 07:07 AM

Default How to spin test an arrow?

I' d like to know the proper procedure for spin testing.

I took some arrows to the local shop and used their Arizona Archery Arrow Straigtener. This tool seemed to be a fine instrument, but I' m not sure if it' s meant to " spin test" . The dial indicator is accurate to .0005"

I took some Gold Tip XTs and the group of six were all within .002" . However, I realized that was only over approximately 12" of arrow shaft. The rollers will not extend to the ends of the arrow. It seems I can only determine the wobble between two points, that are rather close together. I am assuming that the manufacturer tolerance of .003" , is over it' s entire length.

I also tested some Gold Tip Hunters that were in the shop. Interestingly enough, they tested out to be within the same tolerance as the XTs. I wonder if this was simply coincidental or if the green label of the XT, is not worth the extra price.

Can anyone give me the proper procedure for checking straightness against the manufacturer stated tolerance?
Old 08-17-2003, 09:50 AM

Default RE: How to spin test an arrow?

Most manufacturers only list their straightness tolerances over a specified length. I believe Easton' s are for only 28 inches of the shafts.

Spin testing is done for assuring your broadheads (and in the old days, glued on nocks) were true to the shaft. You don' t need the gauge for that. You can eyeball it. Spin the arrows on the rollers and see if you can detect any wobble at the tip of the broadhead.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:49 AM

Danny,

Thanks for the answer, however I know how to do that. I' m trying to find out the procedure for testing the straightness tolerance given by the manufacturer.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most people do not have access to the equipment they need. You have to have presicion rollers or V-blocks that are spaced exactly the distance specified by the manufacturer, on a precision granite surface plate and a dial indicator.

I' m lucky that I have access to the tools, at least sometimes. My brother-in-law owns an aerospace machine shop.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:14 PM

Danny explained what I' ve been seeing. The last inch or two of both ends of the arrow can be seen not to be true to the centerline of the shaft. Since I' m seeing it more on the pressed-in nock end, I' m beginning to suspect the pressed-in nock system. I know that I' ve got some arrows where I installed the ACC-60 G-nock adapters and they still spin true after years of shooting. This may be a blind alley but it is worth mentioning.