Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP: I am switching to a compound this year

Old 01-28-2002, 08:27 PM

Default HELP: I am switching to a compound this year

I have been hunting with a crossbow for a few years and just picked up compound. It was such a good deal - it was almost free. I got a Jennings Rackmaster quad with a 30 inch, #70 draw. It came with a chuck adams rest, fibre optic sights, peep, quiver. I need to buy a release (haven't decided which kind), stabilizer and arrows.
Does anyone shoot one of these bows, or have any advice for me? I figure I'll just buy the best release I can get, but other than that, I need some help. I am not concerned with maximum speed, I would prefer a heavy, steady arrow...I currently use thunderhead 125s on my 2117(Easton xx75) bolts. If possible, I would like to use the same weight heads/tips. Should I go with carbon or aluminum? What arrow length and what vane length? I can go to a pro shop once I have an idea what I want/need. I also would like to drop the draw weight in the off-season. Is there an easy way to do this? Do I need another module or can I just turn it down? Any help would be appreciated. Anyone?

Edited by - Canadianstalker on 01/28/2002 22:16:04

Edited by - Canadianstalker on 01/28/2002 22:35:32
Old 01-29-2002, 06:11 AM

Default RE: HELP: I am switching to a compound this year

Canada,

Since you are new to the compound I would suggest making the visit to the proshop until you get more familiar with the bows mechanics. In selecting arrows, carbons would be a lighter arrow in most cases over aluminums. Also the arrow selection is determined on what poundage you are pulling and arrow length. Then there are broadhead considerations which will generally weaken the arrows spine when adding them to hunt. If you are going to hunt at 70# I would figure my arrowspine around that drawweight. I personally like a long fletch of 4 to 5 inches to give alot guidance and drag to the back of the arrow making it more stable for broadheads. The adjusting of the bows drawweight is done with the limb bolts, but you should have a bow scale to set the poundage properly. If do change the poundage be sure to loosen the limb bolt locking screws, and be careful not to back the bolts out to much. Changing the module is generally done to alter the bows drawlength.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:24 AM

Thanks, FLHunter. I'm off to the pro shop this weekend to spend some of the cash I saved on my new bow. Is there any difference in stabilizers?
Old 01-29-2002, 07:26 AM

There quite a bit of difference in the quality of stabilizers. Considering where your reside I would not go with a hydrolic type it could freeze. See if your proshop would let you test several types to find out which one feels the best to you. It worth the $$$$$ to get a good stabilizer because it eliminates vibration and shock, and balances the bows weight.