Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How often do you change your string loop??

Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 PM

Default How often do you change your string loop??

i noticed today while shooting that my string loop is getting really frazeled..well my release got hung up and i made a bad shot.. well i figured its the way i clipped the loop.. the next one i clipped on my loop and pulled it about half way back and it came loose and my arrow went flying (I live in a residential area) so i hope it didnt hurt anything.. needless to say i cant find my arrow. so i am going to have to restring the loop.. how may shots do you wait before you change??
Old 08-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-13-2003, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How often do you change your string loop??

Josh, please be careful shooting in the area that you do. If it is not legal, then I would suggest finding a range or some state land to shoot at. Make sure that you have a good enough back drop also.

Keep your arrow pointed at the target through the draw cycle. If you can not do that I would suggest to back off on the poundage until you can.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I like to burn both ends before tieing them. I also like to knot both ends to prevent them from getting all frizzy. I have shot with the same one for over two years. I shoot at least once a week year around, usually more than that. I recently took my loop off so I could reset my nock and it was still in good shape. I simply watch it and when it looks bad replace it.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:15 PM

If you keep the loop well waxed it' ll last twice as long, with no fraying.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try to replace mine when it gets fraied a tad. I was thinking about replacing it tonight as a matter of fact.

Now about the arrow being shot somewhere else. I have always been a firm believer in holding the bow on target when drawing.....not pointing in the air or way left or right like some folks do. It also helps in being detected while drawing on an animal if you are holding on the target. Just my opinion. Sorry if you think I am off base with this.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:51 PM

guys sorry iwas not clear enough.. i do live in a residential area and my neighbors are close .(in my defense). i was holding my arrow at the target.. it went in the neighbors woods so nothing was hurt.. (found arrow).. i just didnt want anyone to think that i was some idiot shooting at the sky.. another correction.. its not frayed at the ends.. the outer covering of the loop has come off but the string underneath the camo covering is still strong....
Old 08-13-2003, 07:49 PM
8PT

If the outer sheath is gone and you are looking at the core strands of your loop, you are WAY over due to repace it. You are looking at a self inflicted black eye/bloody nose/fat lip about to happen, especially with a caliper release. [:@] GET THAT THING REPLACED NOW!!!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:30 PM

ok thats what i was wanting to know!!! thanks a bunch guys.. appreciate your help... anyone else noticed that a scott mongoose tears up the loop pretty fast?? or is 6 months of shooting the expectancy of a loop??
Old 08-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

scott mongoose tears up the loop pretty fast?? or is 6 months of shooting the expectancy of a loop??
I have been hearing that quite a bit. I shot a split fire. It is real nice to your loops, it has other issues though.