Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Axle to Axle length

Old 08-13-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Axle to Axle length

What is the importance of the ax to ax length? ....My draw lenght is 30. I am Looking for a new bow
Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Axle to Axle length

Genraly pepole with longer draw lengths shoot better with longer axil to axil bows with greater brace heights . String angle is one factor that is efected by axil length . If you are shooting a short axil length bow you will have a very sharp string angle . The effects of low brace height are magnified with a longer draw length , you get the bonus of more power imput for greater speed but the draw back is the fact that the arrow is on the string longer magnifing any flaws in form .
If I were you I' d be looking for a bow with at least 40" axil tp axil and at least 7" or more brace height . Now we' ll here from all the guys that shoot 34 " bows with 6 1/2 " brace heights that have 30" draws that say they can hit a quater every time at 50 yards , but I' m just saying genraly that a longer bow with more brace is going to " fit" a longer draw archer such as yourself , go try them out and judge for yourself ,. good luck .
Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-13-2003, 10:13 AM

You ever see a picture of a guy walking a high wire? He has this long pole in his hand to keep balance.A longer bow is more stable and harder to torque.Most of your tournament shoters have long ata bows.Most manuf. put higher brace heights on the really short bows to make them shootable.The MQ 32 has a 8" BH.Like the others mentioned the string angle is an issue.With a 30" draw and a really short bow expect to shoot a loop or it will be hard to let down and keep arrows on the string.I personally prefer a bow in the 37-38" range.There are some really short bows,the MQ 32,Mighty Mite and the Razortech that are fine hunting bows.I just shoot a longer bow better.

CB
Old 08-13-2003, 11:36 AM

I still prefer 44" to 48" bows, with either deflexed or straight risers since I shoot fingers. I don' t care about speed in hunting situations. These bows are getting very difficult to find any more. I think Hoyt makes one, and the Reflex Caribou is one. Both are fairly expensive.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Danny , the merlin supernova is a nice " long" bow allso at 43"
Old 08-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ijimmy, Merlin look like thet are some nice bows, do you shoot one??? Just curious.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bobco , just got a max 3000 this year and am very pleased with it . They are useing dartons cam system which is diferant than hoyts . It draws very smoothly and holds nice , fit and finnish are great . They are slightly heavyer that what I am accustomed to but overall I' m very happy with mine .
Old 08-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that we are way off topic here, and I apologize. But I am also 6" 2' and have a 31-32" draw. I prefer a longer A to A mainly because of the string angle. I have a 39" A to A Parker now, but wouldn' t go much below that. I also wouldn' t go below about 7" brace height.

I am currently keeping my eyes open for my next compound bow, but have a little difficult time trying to find just the right one. Before I saw the Merlins, I was (and still am) considering a Reflex Caribou. Another one of my requirements in the new bow is round wheels. I have tendonitis in my right shoulder and radical cams irritate it a lot. Looks like these Merlins may be what I am after. Looks like they are a bit pricey though. ijimmy, did you ever have to take your bow in for repairs or anything. Just wondering what type of waits you would have for parts since the bow is made in England. Also looks like I have a dealer here in NY about 1 1/2 away.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll be honest with you Bobco , had to wait about 9 weeks for mine , they promise 6 . The drawlength and poundage were dead on but to acomplish it the factory had a string on the bow 1/2 longer than spec . I think thats better than what most companies do , which is to give you a bow that is over on draw weight and long on draw length , recently most companies have gotten better in the draw length department . It realy was not a problem as I got another string for it anyway and twisted the cabels acordingly . The only other bitch I have is that someone at the factory forgot to lube the axils during the assembly process . I lubed them up to stop the clicking sound they made and have not had a problem since . Overall Merlin makes a great bow , their fit and finish are very nice. I would not hesitate to recomend them to anyone . Its kind of hard to find a dealer though , if ones close to you, your lucky . Most pepole want a hands on experiance before they buy and I can see why . I bought mine sight unseen from pinwheel products .

Quick Reply: Axle to Axle length

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.