Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The tuning trilogy!

Old 08-13-2003, 08:11 AM

Default The tuning trilogy!

TUNE the BOW...TUNE the ARROW...TUNE the ARCHER.

If you don' t know how to do each of these phases, choice of broadhead doesn' t matter as much. Addressing all three phases will assure effective delivery of the projectile to point-of-impact. If you miss one of the phases, you will definitely affect the entire process.

I had a customer in just yesterday who had his bow tuned by my shop. He had also been given instruction (tune the archer) by me personally. What he failed to do was check out/tune his arrows properly before cresting them and making them look pretty for hunting. The arrows were NOT tuned properly and some subsequently missed the entire broadhead target when fitted with fixed broadheads.

For those who will raise the question, he did not ask us to tune/select his arrows for broadhead use. This is a very costly process because it is time consuming. Customers can do this process, if they know the procedure and have the tools. Generally, carbon arrows have to be checked much more closely than aluminum arrows, IMPO.[]

While tuning the bow and arrows can be a major task, tuning the archer (especially a veteran) can be most troublesome.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:18 AM
nub

Default RE: The tuning trilogy!

carbon arrows have to be checked much more closely than aluminum arrows,
Just curious, where would ACCs figure in this?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Len what was wrong with his arrows , spine , fletch contact , inserts, nocks , . Let us know . Tuning the archer is another storie , I cant seem to get my mind right , least thats what pepole around me say , but hey maybe its them that are twisted
Old 08-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I am haveing a arrow tuning problem right now. Could you expand a little please. I have always hunted with a 125 grain broad head. I have swithced to a 100 grain. I like how the arrows shoot a little quicker (not sure how much, I havent cronagraphed them yet) but appears to fly flater and quicker. My only problem Is I keep getting a right tear with paper now.

I posted this question here earlier (100 vs 125 grains) any help is appreaciated. I live in the sticks and our loacal bow shop is over 120 miles away. I pretty much have to teach myself and rely on folks like you for advice.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:02 AM

Bernie what is your set up? Most likely your arrows are now a litle stiff because lowering the point weight increases the arrow spine.Easton has a PDF tuning guide you can download and print.Very good info.Len what is your preffered method for broadhead arrow tuning?

CB
Old 08-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

bernie, you probably gained up to 5 fps at most. If it keeps givin you fits, go back to 125...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Cajun
I am shoting an older model hoyt (exel) at 63lbs. My shafts are carbon express 6075s that are 310grains at my length. I use a release, loop, and drop away rest.

I am going to down load the chart you mentioned, It will probably give me the answer to my spin delima. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:11 PM

Nub: The ACC' s fall into the better category. But, depending on ' your' acceptability criteria, can still be low yield. My ACC usage on an elk trip yielded only 9 out of 24 arrows that were acceptable by me; but, my standards are VERY high. You get what you pay for is still a good cliche.

ijimmy: This customer' s arrows were NOT completely straight. As I usually find, the ends (last 2" of the arrows), possibly due to cutting, were up to .030 out.

burniegoeasily: Sorry, I don' t get into trying to diagnose tuning problems on the internet.

CAJUNBOWHNTR: Getting the BH' s to hit where the field tips hit is my acceptance criteria.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:42 PM
8PT

Len, good to see your posts. I would like to know what your acceptable standards for a good tuned shooter/bow /arrow combination for hunting would be. I know your personal standards for yourself would probably be higher due to experience but I mean the average Joe Blow. Myself for example last year I worked to get my fieldtips, bare shaft , and at least 2 or 3 different brand fixed blade broadheads to shoot into the same group at a minimum of 30 yards. I acomplished this goal even though I am not the best shot in the world partly due to some physical limitations and my groups with this randomly shot combination of arrows was about 3 1/2 inches at 30 yards. This year I plan to have these same results out to 40 yards. I have not started with broadheads yet, but yesterday I was shooting at a spot on my target butt at 40 yards and had shot 3 field tips at that distance and decided to shoot the bare shaft into the group to confirm tune. I then shot 2 more fieldtips into the group, and when I went down to pull them they were in a group about 3 1/2" on and around the spot I was shooting at with the bareshaft straight in the center of the group. Im I on the right track?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:54 PM

8PT: You' re definitely doing it correctly. What I find acceptable is not an issue and shouldn' t be a consideration for anyone. Establishing where you are, setting goals, achieving those goals, and then establishing new goals is commendable.

You' re shooting very well and good luck in your future endeavors.

Quick Reply: The tuning trilogy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.