Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The tuning trilogy!

Old 08-20-2003, 09:25 AM
nub

Default RE: The tuning trilogy!

Len this is similar to the tool I have available to check my shafts. Might even be the same one. Is it accurate enough given the amout one can spread the supports? Do you check your shafts on 28" supports for your own use?

I guess if don' t use the manufacturers guidelines for support, we have nothing to bitch about.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

C-903

Not slapping anyone in the face, stating factual evidence seen by my own eyes in my 35+ years in this sport and industry.

All-

If the hunters want the cheapest arrows they can afford, that is NOT mine, Len' s, or any other dealers' fault! Some are pointing fingers in the wrong direction here!

I understand where you guys are coming from, but realistically, there are only a small handful of people who will ever go to such extremes, and even if some of us dealers did also in our attempts to make an example and promote a better product, we would simply be cut for some trumped-up reason. " Spitting into the wind" comes to mind here.

Dog-eat-dog world. Best thing we can do is to all work together to find the best products within a specific industry--here we are talking arrow shafts. Buy the ones we find have the best tolerances, and boycott the ones who do not. We dealers build arrows yes, but who will be the first ones to complain IF we were to charge $200 per dozen for carbons that are all hand-weighed, matched, and or even tuned to the same hole out of a hooter-shooter?(we have to get paid for our time spent, time is money, right?) Will everyone buy them? Of course not. This is the point. Many people simply do not care about such extremes.

To be honest, I see more crying about virtually everything on the messageboards nowadays, heads and shoulders more than I ever heard throughout my entire archery career up until this point. Why is that? I think it is just simply something to talk about more than anything....

Bottom line and easiest way out of this for those who feel they are getting " shafted" (get it, arrows, shafted, oh, never mind[&:])---buy three dozen arrows,[] sort thru, match weigh shafts and components, assemble them, match weigh them again. Keep only the ones that match. Shoot them thru a hooter and individually tune each one to hit the same hole at 20 yds. If they do not, put them aside also. When you come to find 12 that hit the same hole, stop there, put them in your quiver. Sell the rest on e-bay as brand-new arrows like most knowledgeable archers who have access to a hooter do. (If you don' t have a hooter, no need to bother anyway, because I know no-one who can consistently put arrows into the same hole at 20yds by hand, so moot point) If you feel the manufacturers are not within specs, e-mail or write letters to the manufacturers telling them their stuff sucks, then buy a different manufacturers' products next time around and try them instead.

This way, you always have great stuff in your quiver, are never out any real money, and have the satisfaction of knowing you voiced your opinion to the appropriate sources, not simply bantered on a messageboard system where the manufacturers never show anyway and therefore never hear the gripes to begin with so nothing ever gets resolved. Simple, no? Pinwheel 12
Old 08-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

We dealers build arrows yes, but who will be the first ones to complain IF we were to charge $200 per dozen for carbons that are all hand-weighed, matched, and or even tuned to the same hole out of a hooter-shooter?(we have to get paid for our time spent, time is money, right?) Will everyone buy them? Of course not. This is the point. Many people simply do not care about such extremes.
Pinwheel,

Great post but your wasting your time. You can' t argue with logic and common sense with some people. Everyone here with a little common sense knows that you can' t go through that kind of time and trouble and still keep arrows affordable enough for the average archer to buy. You Pro Shop owners should feel good though because you prvide several necessary services, not the least of which is giving people with nothing better to do, something to bitch about.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:08 AM
nub

Remind me to never buy arrows from you Hooter owners off Ebay.[:' (]
Old 08-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

SA--

Thank-you fer yer support![&:]

Nub--

Don' t feel bad, you' re not the only one who didn' t know. Pinwheel 12
Old 08-20-2003, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel, so that' s $100 for a 1/2 dozen, right?

Do you need my bow to do the testing?

Old 08-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Rangeball-

Yep, gotta send your bow....Fed Ex overnight of course![&:] LOL. Pinwheel 12
Old 08-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Arthur- I didn' t mean to imply that you didn' t know how to find out that information, I know you do and I apologize if it came across that way. I agree with your post 100%.

I too find that some factory ends are less than desireable, so if I' m making some 28" arrows from 32" raw shafts, I' ll cut 2" from both ends rather than cutting 4" from one and and leaving the other end as is from the factory.

Also, the " straightness" spec from the manufacturers is really only good at that center between the 28" span. I suppose this assumes that the shaft has imperfections in an arc-like fashion over the length of the shaft. Then the greatest runout will be in the center. What if the shaft has a more S-like imperfection? Then the center reading may indicate just about perfect, but the ends are going to be all over the place.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest, I see more crying about virtually everything on the messageboards nowadays, heads and shoulders more than I ever heard throughout my entire archery career up until this point. Why is that? I think it is just simply something to talk about more than anything....
Well, at least pertaining to the issue at hand, you see more crying because of the overemphasis on SPEED. Performance of the equipment is going through the roof, the bows are a lot more critical to shoot, and the quality of the arrows everybody wants, to get the speed, is crap. More critical bows, worse arrows and no wonder people are getting discouraged and crying.

As for the idea of buying several dozen arrows, picking out the good stuff and then selling the junk to some poor devil on down the road... Sorry, but that just doesn' t appeal to my sense of honesty. I couldn' t do that.

But thanks for the warning, Pinwheel. I' d always thought higher of my fellow archers than that. Didn' t know we were bringing in gutter trash.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bottom line and easiest way out of this for those who feel they are getting " shafted" (get it, arrows, shafted, oh, never mind )---buy three dozen arrows, sort thru, match weigh shafts and components, assemble them, match weigh them again. Keep only the ones that match. Shoot them thru a hooter and individually tune each one to hit the same hole at 20 yds. If they do not, put them aside also. When you come to find 12 that hit the same hole, stop there, put them in your quiver. Sell the rest on e-bay as brand-new arrows like most knowledgeable archers who have access to a hooter do.
Advising people to do that is just not right. [:' (][:' (][:' (]

Quick Reply: The tuning trilogy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.