Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

help with a bow purchase

Old 08-11-2003, 10:20 AM

Default help with a bow purchase

I have tried a few brands out but have found that I like PSE ( all brands feel good when you are use to a low end starter bow) I have bow hunted for only 2 years now and would say that I have average intell about the sport. I started hunting with a PSE Nova. Well I am interested in a major upgrade because I have found that I truely enjoy the sport. I am looking at the PSE thunderbolt L3 but, the Nitro and Primos are not out of the question. I am not hung up on PSE, it' s just what I am use to. I just want an awesome bow for the money. So give me some ideas about the models I have stated as well as others that may be even better.

I am 6ft 240, 30 draw length, and always hunt from tree stands
Old 08-11-2003, 10:35 AM

Default RE: help with a bow purchase

The bows I really like are as follows. PSE Team Primos STL, AR AR34 & AR37, Hoyt RazorTec and CyberTec, Mathews Q2 and Legacy.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:21 AM

well, a good bow for the price is a mathews fx, shoots fast, very forgiving and is not as expensive as other top of the line mathews or hoyt bows.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The PSE Thunderbolt is an excellent bow, and not too hard on the pocket book. The Primos bow is a step up from the thunderbolt, both in the actual bow and the price. The Nitro is nice too, but a shorter brace(6" --which I don' t really care for). I' ve shot PSE for many years and they' ve never let me down. For me they have always been forgiving, accurate, quiet and fast. I would think any of those would do you good, it just depends on what you prefer (a to a, brace, etc) I would try and find a shop that carries them and go for a test drive! Good luck
Old 08-11-2003, 06:42 PM

If you are looking for a bow with a good warranty and a good price you may want to check out a Champion bow
Old 08-11-2003, 08:49 PM

The Parker Bows are not bad for the money either. Have you looked at the Reflex Buckskin, it is made by hoyt, 34" ATA and a 7-1/4" brace height.

I would try to find something that has at least a 7" brace height. The Primos or Thunderbolt would be okay but as mentioned the Nitro could be tricky with the short brace height.

Find a dealer and start shooting, you will know when you find the right one.

Good Luck with your search.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

yjbates,

I' m mostly a Merlin and Bowman man but I have a PSE Mach 8 that I still hunt with.
Nothing wrong with PSE. They have a great warranty and service.
You might want to get some feedback at the PSE Message Boards also.
Not trying to run you off from the Bowtech Forum though.
Hey, the Bowtech' s aren' t too bad either.
http://www.pse-archery.com
http://www.merlin-bows.co.uk
http://www.bowtecharchery.com/
Good luck in your search.

Sag.