Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to set center shot on High Country

Old 08-11-2003, 08:09 AM

Default How to set center shot on High Country

I have a high country ultra force split limb bow. The only dealer around is useless so I usually go to a martin dealer who helps me alot. I want to learn to do most of this myself. How exactly do you set the center shot on these bows? The tool that goes in the limb bolts doesn' t work, it' s way off center with that. Whenever a shop set it up they only seem to eyeball it. There has to be a more accurate way. I just switched to a whisker biscuit and I measured the old distance to the riser from the arrow to get it close to the old rest. Now my arrows fly to the left a few inches and seem to have the tail end tilted to the left as if they hit the target at an angle.

There are three different sizes of biscuit sizes. I have the larger one for alumnums but I switched to carbons so I should have the middle sized biscuit. (The store is currently out of that size) If the bow shoots well does it really make a difference if the biscuit hole is larger than the arrow? I am going to buy the right size when it comes in but how much difference can it make if the arrow only rests on the bottom edge of the biscuit?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:36 AM

Default RE: How to set center shot on High Country

Not sure how others do it? I will hold the bow in one hand extended out and line up the string with the center of the top and bottom portion of the riser fasing you. With an arrow nocked the shaft should be in line with the string. If it is not I adjust the rest slightly.

How do your arrows group at 20 and 30 yards? I have seen some guys put a vertical piece of 1" tape on a backstop and shoot it from 10, 20, 30 or 20, 30, 40 yards. Don' t concentrate so much on hitting a certain spot, just aim at the tape and mark which arrow is which. If all 3 arrows are on or close to the tape you should be okay, if they start to drift one way or another more the farther back you get you will have to adjust the rest.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:52 AM

I' ll give the tape thing a try, my arrows do seem to go to the left when I go from 20 to 30 and 30 to 40.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:29 AM
nub

rml: The group tune UpNorth is reffering to is explained here. http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tu...ning_guide.pdf
As far as HCA is concerned; I' ve emailed them repeatedly asking for info on a 4 runner.[:' (] They have not returned any of my emails. I will never reccomend anything these people have to offer. [:@]
Old 08-11-2003, 10:38 AM

I emailed HCA last week asking for info on what tool they recommend and about the warranty on the vibratech coating coming off. They replied a week later telling me to call warranty. My next bow will probably be a martin, mainly because I have a very friendly knowledgeable dealer close by that treats people right. The HCA dealer I bought my bow from thinks all problems are solved by selling you 6 new carbon arrows for $100.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

[link]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0004585410562a&navAction=jump&navCou nt=2&indexId=cat20080&podId=0004585&catalogCode=QP &parentId=cat20080&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=Mai nCatcat21424&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcat alog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.ne t%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabel as%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F00%2F45%2F85%2Fp004585ii 01.jpg&hasJS=true[/link]

$12.99 at cabelas
Old 08-12-2003, 11:43 AM

The bow shop I go to tried one of those and it won' t work on my bow. He said there isn' t a flat area where the tool attaches in order to make it work. I tried one myself before and it had the rest about a 1/4 inch left of center. When it was set before by a shop the arrow wasn' t set dead center through the middle of the limbs if you looked down the limbs and tried to eyeball it, it was more to the right. I' m going to have to go back to the shop and talk to him some more.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:53 AM

Maybe try and move the rest a little left until it looks like it is centered with the limbs and see how it shoots. It may take a little time but you will learn as you go. Move the rest to the left and shoot at 20 and 30 yards to see if arrows are drifting off to one side the farther out you get, if they do move the rest a little more.

Many years ago that is how I started, it was frustrating but eventually I got it.

Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:59 AM

I currently own a High Country Split One X1 and put a new rest on it this past year and all I did was nock an arrow while having it sit on my rest and hold the bow at arms length and split the arrow with the string. This seemed to work very well for me because when I went to tune my bow It was shooting bullet holes from 6ft to 20 yards without an adjustment. Save your money on those tools eyeball it, if its off you' ll know its off very quickly when you go to paper tune your bow.