Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting great.. finally!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting great.. finally!

I didn't even bow hunt last year because the year before I got my first deer with a bow but it was a gut shot. I just could not seem to get any consistency.. even with help from this forum.
Anyway, this year I decided to get a WB rest and give it one more chance. I got the bow tuned with this rest, and within a couple weeks was shooting more accurately and consistently than ever before. Now I can hit a 2" dot about half the time (20 yds). This is with an older Jennings bow.
I think the rest helped because my old one (2 prong rest) was very difficult to tune. But also it seems like all the tips I received in the past just came together for me.
I am now looking forward to bow season.. and possibly some competition.

Good luck to all .. when the season starts
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Great to hear! And good luck! I would say its doubtful its the WB but rather you've found your groove. I used a prong rest for several years and then a WB and can say neither made a noticable difference in my shooting. I am by no means an archery expert. Never been to a 3d shoot (though invited quite a bit) and never in competition but I do shoot quite a bit on my backyard range and good enough to average a deer plus every year in my first six seasons. I would say the key is finding what works for you in establishing a consistent anchor point and sticking with it. There is no magical scenario for any one person despite what anyone might tell you. Some people touch their nose to the string. Some don't. Some people use a kisser button. Some don't. Some rest their knuckles of their shooting hand on their neck, some on their cheek. It's whatever works for you and stick with it so you are consistent. Practice. Practice. Practice. For those of us that live in a rural setting, there's no reason you can't shoot half a dozen arrows every other day during season to stay sharp. When I've failed to do this is when I've had issues or missed.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Roger that Minnesota.. practice is key.
also, I knew that torque was a problem for me.. and maybe the grip on this old bow had something to do with it. But I recently noticed the string was flattened below the nock point.. right where it might be hitting the cable rod.. and this told me that my torque must be pretty bad. Focusing on fundamentals got me on track.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Spike

Good luck to you
Old 08-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Spike

You'll get consistently better as time goes on, just stay on top of it.