Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How does X influence your Purchasing? (survey)

Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How does X influence your Purchasing? (survey)

Ok..

This is a survey of sorts about what influences your hunting equipment purchases and how much influence there is.

Disclaimer: And I’m not just talking about my Bow Reports (though certainly that should be included if it’s ever influenced you one way or another), but all kinds of hunting related-equipment.

I know from reading other folks’ posts around here, seeing good or bad results may just sway my decision one way or the other. I do try to test stuff myself before I make any solid conclusions, but I’ve found myself eating crow on a few occasions because QC has improved or I just plain was too dead-set about something w/out having enough info/experience.

For example: There is a new for 2003 arrow rest that was widely hyped here on these boards as well as many others. Eventually the hype influenced me to go take a look at one. After I messed around with it myself, I was totally unimpressed, and felt it wasn’t all it was cracked up to be by a long shot.

However, I’ve also had some items that totally exceeded my expectations in a positive way too. Treestands; Broadheads, even something as simple as fletching glue. Currently I’m finding new confidence in a product I had previously dismissed because the quality has improved greatly since I last tested it/them.

Basically it boils down to these questions

1) How much of an influence do your fellow posters have on your buying habits?

2) Do you find that your fellow posters good experiences are more often correct than not in your case?

3) Are you more inclined to go with word of mouth advertising (like here on HBBS), commercial advertising (from the manufacturer), or pro-shop recommendation?

4) To what degree are you skeptical of people promoting product who work for the company, are staff shooters, or sell the products for a living? A lot? A little?

5) In relation to number 4: Even if that “biased individual” (cause they sell the product or work with/for the company in some manner) is also making constructive criticisms about said product, are you less likely to dismiss the product? e.g. I used to be on the HCA dealer staff back in the mid 1990’s. If you walked into my shop and in discussing the bows I was mostly positive about the line, but I was also straight-forward enough to make some criticisms, would you be more likely to buy the product or less? (I.e. If the criticisms were minor, would you appreciate the honesty and go ahead w/ the purchase, or would you be scared to buy the product because I didn’t make it out to be the Holy Grail?)

6) How influential are your hunting buddies on your buying decisions? Do you tend to gravitate towards the same gear that they have or vice-versa? (I see this all the time @ the shop I help out at)

Type away; be honest, but keep it constructive please…
Old 08-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How does X influence your Purchasing? (survey)

I buy everything I use strictly on what others say about products and not what I find to my real likes and dislikes...No really... No wait never mind... I don' t own one of everything yet...

I say everybodies always wrong about their own expressed opinions... Other than me of course...

Would you expect anything less from me Homeskillet?...
Old 08-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

For too long and before the net, I based purchase decisions on ad copy. I won some, lost some.

Now I RARELY make a purchase without thorough scouring of the net for additional info from actual users or people in the know (like you and the ACCs, best $ I' ve spent in a long long time). If it' s hunting equipment related, I use this board and some of it' s members opinions an awful lot. Since doing so, I' ve made mostly very good purchases, such as the previously mentioned ACCs, the Stealth, Rocket Wolverine 3Ps, No-Peep, Tru-Nock, and some other stuff that escapes me.

I know feel educated enough to sort the bull from the truth using common sense. I also know if it' s a bow, I' m gonna research it in my usual manner, then shoot the sucker and form my own final answer...
Old 08-07-2003, 01:32 PM

Jeffb,
I think it is a combination or mix most of the time. I think advertising, word of mouth or looking into a product a friend uses all come into play.
I look, listen and read about the items that I am interested in and then try them out myself to see how they feel to me. I really do enjoy this site and can keep up on almost any product that I have an interest in.
Case in point; I am looking into buying a new bow this winter and have been reading alot of posts on the new Bowtech,mathews and Hoyt lineups for 2003-2004. Thanks to you all for your honest opinons.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:49 PM

I agree with most that it' s a combination of everything. I do appreciate what others have to say and their experiences but sometimes it' s what feels right or works for you.

Case in point - when I bought my bow. Guys on the message boards were giving their thoughts, my shop said their thoughts but in the end - my Martin bow just felt absolutely great to me. I couldn' t be happier with it even though I didn' t follow everyone else.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Martin, that' s exactly what I mean. When it comes down to feel, the ONLY way is to judge for yourself. As long as the quality checks out and the specs are where you want them, go with what feels best to YOU.

Otherwise, you' d all be shooting Diamond Hornets...
Old 08-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Word of mouth is a big influence on getting my interest up. However, since I don' t work part time in a pro-shop anymore I use this website as a reference. I have been around here for a couple of years and I have learned there are certain individuals that have similar taste and opinions to mine. I normally wait and let the " techies" on this board buy something and put it through the trials before making a purchasing decision. That being said the only thing that I have added to my setup that I hadn' t put through the paces myself was the SME Hybrid Bighorn Sight which came highly recommended by Len. I have been more than happy with that purchase. I haven' t switched anything else other than switching to the BT Patriot last year, which I bought sight unseen. I knew the day my brochure came in the mail that the Patriot was right up my alley.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:19 PM
nub

1) How much of an influence do your fellow posters have on your buying habits?
I' d say quite a bit lately. Bow, rest, sight, and broadheads are all recent purchases I' ve decided on from info found on this site.
2) Do you find that your fellow posters good experiences are more often correct than not in your case?
Yes, but I do take my time in waiting for all those whos opinions I value to chime in.
3) Are you more inclined to go with word of mouth advertising (like here on HBBS), commercial advertising (from the manufacturer), or pro-shop recommendation?
If I need an opinion on a product, other than my own, I get it here at Huntingnet. I do visit a few other boards, but there are a few here, whos opinion I value more so than anywhere else.
4) To what degree are you skeptical of people promoting product who work for the company, are staff shooters, or sell the products for a living? A lot? A little?
I' d say a lot. I' ve wasted too much time and money in 35 years of archery to take a salesman on their word. I always confirm with a visit here.
5) In relation to number 4: Even if that “biased individual” (cause they sell the product or work with/for the company in some manner) is also making constructive criticisms about said product, are you less likely to dismiss the product?
I' d have to weigh each criticisim and base my decision on how it applies to me and whether I can live with or overcome it. I can love a product and still find things to critic on.
6) How influential are your hunting buddies on your buying decisions? Do you tend to gravitate towards the same gear that they have or vice-versa? (I see this all the time @ the shop I help out at)
I' d have to say they have an eye on me, more than I have an eye on them. I' m geared a bit different than the friends or club members I know. I gear up for moose, they gear up for deer. I gear up for broadhead leagues, they gear up for spots. Guess I don' t pay a lot of attention to whos watching me.

I' ve learned a lot from this site and have my own opinion of those who visit here. I know those I can trust and those who I feel are full of it. On the web, you just can' t take a person for what they type. It takes time to learn to read a poster. His or hers sense of humor, temper, honesty, or personality doesn' t always come out the way they ment to post it. If it did, I' d probably come across as a major prick at times![] Of all the sites I visit, I like this one the best.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

1) Since I buy very little, I can' t say my fellow posters have much effect on what I do buy. But they do get my interest up enough to look at some products.

2) Hearing about good experiences is a plus.

3) Word of mouth is tops for me. Advertising copy is a distant second. Pro shop recommendation is way down the list. If I see something that interests me in a magazine ad, I' ll scan the forums to see what the story is from people that have tried it. When I get to the pro shop, I usually know exactly what I want and I resent anyone trying to steer me towards a different product. Unless I specifically ask for a recommendation, then sell me what I ask for.

4) VERY skeptical, clean across the line into all out cynicism. I' ve seen too much junk over the years that has been promised to be THE product that will put meat in my freezer and horns on the wall.

5) When someone is honest about their product, talks plain English and gives me a dose of vinegar with the honey, then I do retreat somewhat from my cynical side.

6) My hunting buddies?? If you think I' m going to shoot the same thing those idiots do, you' re crazier than I am!

My answers are colored by the fact that I' ve been shooting bows-n-arrows for a couple of winters shy of 50 years. I know what I like and dislike, what I' ve been successful with in the past, what' s proven itself to be accurate and reliable. Above all, I go for simplicity in my shooting gear. Very little of what' s on the market these days meets my standards.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:37 PM

I ignore ads, except to enjoy the entertainment value of them.

I pay little attention to most poster' s recommendations, since I know that so many are affiliated with a manufacturer, sell the product in their shop, or are so company loyal that they are blind to every other competing product. That said, there are a couple posters that I' ve come to respect their opinions and I pay more attention when they say a particular product is worth looking at.

My biggest source is the local shop that I shoot at, and my shooting buddies. We compare equipment with some hands-on testing. That is really the only way for me to know if I will like a product. Even then, I sometimes find that after I' ve owned it a few weeks, the performance isn' t quite what I initially thought it was. Still, nothing beats trying the product for yourself.

Quick Reply: How does X influence your Purchasing? (survey)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.