Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the ' correct' form?

Old 08-07-2003, 06:05 AM

Default What is the ' correct' form?

I have been lurking here for some time. You regulars do a good job. I have used the search feature and haven' t found an answer to ' what is the correct form?'

I have had a bow for a few years but never had anyone show or tell me what the correct form is. My previous bow was a Walmat special. I just bought a new bow from a place with a pro shop. I am a righty, single cam, with release for deer hunting.
FIRST FEET:
1) Are my feet, right to left, supposed to ba pointing at the target? Or if you draw a line from my back foot to the target them from my back foot to my front, is there supposed to be an angle there?
2)Feet a little wider than sholders?
SHOLDERS:
3) In line with the feet?
ARMS:
4)Left slightly bent, Right to pull the nock to the corner of my mouth?
LEFT WRIST:
5) Locked out? with the thumb in line with the forarm? with the back of the hand in line with the forarm? or with the wrist locked in?

6) Or am I making this all too complicated, should I just stand there and shoot because my chances of using proper form deer hunting is small?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:15 AM

Default RE: What is the ' correct' form?

Pluto, the best thing for you to do is get yourself a coach. Your pro shop may help out, or check out some of the local archery clubs where you are. Most people are more than happy about helping you out. Make sure they know what they are doing though. Some of the best shots I know have terrible form. That' s fine, once you get going, but not when you' re starting out.

I, and many here, could answer your questions, but you really need to be shown, first hand, how to stand, etc. Some of it will also be dictated by your own physique.

Good form is more important in hunting than anything else!!!! If you don' t have good form on the target range, there' s no way to have good form while in the field where you have to kneel, sit, stand with one leg behind your head, etc. The upper part of your body is critical, and you need the help of someone who can show you. And shooting with bad form, is a tough habit to break. Get help first, and start off right. Find someone who can show you these things, and good luck to ya.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a lot to it. You may want to check out a few books.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Old 08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Start with just being comfortable and relaxed, tension free. Bow arm slightly bent to what seems comfortable and stable. Bow hand relaxed and tension free. Bow drawn to a comfortable and easily repeatable anchor point, with release arm elbow pointing comfortably back. Your feet comfortably placed so you aren' t even aware of them. Head not cocked and angles, just comfortably sitting there, eyes staring down the target.

If you are comfortable and tension free, you got probably 90% of the battle licked. From there an experienced shooter or coach watching you can fine tune things...
Old 08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

What Danny said. Join a club and meet people. Scope out the better shooters and ask for help. And don' t be intimidated. We all started somewhere.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

A coach would be the absolute best,but may not be practical.

You can get good advice from hunters and target shooters but it may be right or it may be wrong,a coach will know.

I am fortunate and have a certified coach nearby that also makes my strings and he has helped with my form.

First off,you need everything in a straight line.Arm straight out in front of you,relaxed but straight.Your release elbow needs to be straight behind you,not pointing one way or the other.

If someone looks at you from behind,there should be nothing outside of a straight line with the arrow.Your realease elbow and the point of the arrow should be on the same plane.

Your feet should be shoulder width and position of the feet come down to a comfort thing but most like them to be parallel to the target but pointing slightly outward,away from each other.Some other like the front foot to be slightly behind the back foot from the parallel plane.Hope this makes since.

Your shoulders should also be in a straight line with the arrow.

This is form that is needed for the most forgiving shot in a target situation.When shooting with hunting clothes and hunting a bent arm may be necessary so a slightly shorter draw may be what is needed to shoot an animal with full gear on.This will help create clearance of the clothes to prevent arm slap.

Hope this was the kind of info you were looking for.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:41 AM

In reference to your bow arm, here' s the easiest way I can explain what to do so you don' t have to bend your arm to avoid string slap.

Stand with your arm down at your side, hand flat against your leg. Now raise your arm straight out to the side until it is shoulder height. Your hand should still be flat, all fingers pointing out. Now, the tricky part. Keep your arm in that position, and rotate your wrist back, so your thumb is pointing up. Then drop your thumb.

It feels extremely weird at first, but it' s the best way I have found to show folks how to keep your elbow out so the string won' t hit it. Now if you' re wearing bulky clothing, the only solution is to use a arm guard to hold it against your arm and out of the way.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFox, if my release elbow were to point straight back, I would be anchoring behind my ear and pick up a good 1-1.5" of draw length. As it is now I anchor with the v of my release hand nestled in behind my jawbone.

Does your coach advocate exceptions to this rule to take into account different body types, or am I just out of whack? I' ve never had a coach or anyone comment on my self taught form...
Old 08-08-2003, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the help. I ordered a book and will heed your advice. If anyone has something to add. I' m all eyes.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rangeball

He made me make my draw length longer because I was doing much like you.

I can say from personall experience that the elbow straight back will give you the most forgiving release.

I couldn' t get comfortable with the style of backtension I was using when going longer with my draw but put my wrist release on and the difference was amazing.I am going to look this winter for a backtension that will work with my form.I believe putting a rope on the release I have now will eliminate the problem.

Look at the Short and sweet I was telling you about and it will work great with this form and a loop.

Quick Reply: What is the ' correct' form?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.