Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the ' correct' form?

Old 08-08-2003, 03:26 PM

Default RE: What is the ' correct' form?

I was taught that you don' t want a straight line from bow hand to release elbow while at full draw. Almost straight, but not quite. Reasoning is, if you already have that straight line across your back, and then you release, the natural movement of your follow thru will cause you to pull your bowhand to the left (right handed shooters) at the shot due to all the tension. If you keep it just short of a straight line, when you shoot, then the follow thru will put you in that straight line all the way from elbow to target and there is far less bow hand movement at the shot.

Made sense to me at the time.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, so where do you anchor at? I really like my current anchor because it' s so solid and repeatable, but I' m always looking for ways to shoot better.

Old 08-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I anchor right in behind my jaw bone and with my wrist release,it is perfect.

Danny,was the person that told you this a certified coach.I am not a coach so I can' t say if one is " correct" or not but I was having a certified coach teaching me his way.As a matter of fact,he was teaching teachers how to teach archery in school this summer and right now is in New Mexico,I believe, instructing military kids on olympic archery.After that he goes to Ohio to teach some more.Just trying to give a little background for reference.He has also coached and tuned for a few world record holders.

I know there are many ways that work well for many and coaches will sometimes vary in opinions.In a hunting situation,the easiest and quickest to consistantly perform is most likely the best way.We don' t need pin point accuracy at 60 yards to shoot a deer through the vitals.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:45 PM

Yeah, mine was a level 2 NAA coach. I don' t know if there are any set " rules" for shooting. I know there are some basics, and then there all kinds of variants to those. I' m sure each coach puts a little something of their own in when they teach.

More importantly, he was my pro-shop, and my friend. We spent alot of time in his backyard shooting together. I miss those days.

You' re right, pinpoint accuracy at 60 yards isn' t necessary, but it sure makes picking out a hair at 20 yards easy!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Danny

I was just remembering a coversation that I had the other night with this person and he did mention that some will do just as your coach described.It is a very slight offset and like you said is almost straight back.

There are many different ways and what he is teaching is the same because at the point of release,the elbow is straight back.Others use back tension more in a downward motion and The way my friend/coach teaches it.If I am not mistaking,Jeff Hopkins does it in this way.I was talkng to a semi pro that had conversations with Jeff and watched his form very closely and said he would line his elbow straight back and then line the release in a vertical position to eliminate any side to side motion.

Then we were talikng about Randy Ulmer and he said he has nothing straight or in line.With enough practice,a person can become good with very bad form but it is much harder to repeat on every shot and little mistakes become big misses.

Either works and I think the question was answered.[8D]
Old 08-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, I added 1" of draw to my scott mongoose adjustment, just to see. Wow, a big difference. My bow arm stays comfortably slightly bent, my back arm settles what feels like almost to straight behind the arrow, and I have less tension. It is easier to hold the pin in the target zone, and I' m getting a much more crisp release. I no longer feel like I am using my muscles to hold the bow steady, it now just kind of sits there. I was having issues with the bow valley seeming very very short and the string trying to jump forward, but I think it was because I was using mostly muscle to hold the draw, not my bone structure.

Only problem is the trigger is too far forward, but I now feel confident that I can add my 29" draw module and shorten the release back up and duplicate the feeling.

Going 1" longer shouldn' t mess with my nock point any should it? Just trying to forsee any potential problems to watch out for.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:47 AM

Pluto:

Do your best to find a good shooter that will help you ...in person. You can learn on your own, but it will be tough. You will make a lot of mistakes and can easily become totally confused. However, if there is nobody to help you, don' t give up.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rangeball

It is amazing how much difference the little things can help.

A change with the release works sometimes and I actually modified my Mongoose to work for me.A loop sounds like it might be just the thing for you.

Don' t be afraid to experiment but when you make changes,make them 1 at a time so you know if the change is working or not.

A module shouldn' t change nock height but will most likely require a longer stiffer arrow.