Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

High Altitude Shots will I need to adjust?

Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default High Altitude Shots will I need to adjust?

I' m going Elk hunting in Colorado next month. I live in Phoenix at roughly 1100 ft elevation (and 60000 degrees F). We will be hunting around 7-9000 ft elevation (and significantly cooler thank god). Will the difference in elevation make a difference in my impact point? If so, at what range would it become apparent?

thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: High Altitude Shots will I need to adjust?

I got to shoot the range out on the north end of Phoenix a couple of times about 15 years ago. Real nice shooting complex you guys got out there. I' d like to do it again sometime.

Just coming from 500 ft elevation around Dallas to 1100 ft in Phoenix, my arrows impacted differently, starting around 30 yards. I' d bet you' re going to be in for some serious fine tuning when you get up there in that thin air.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:34 PM

Due to the thinner air, your arrows will travel longer, making your shots higher.... From expirience, just re-sight your 25 + pins
Old 08-06-2003, 05:54 AM

There is an article about arrow speed in the October issue of Petersen' s Bowhunting. The author is Dave Dolbee. It says:

Altitude can affect arrow speed. However, the difference at normal hunting ranges would be so slight that it would be negligible on anything bigger than a squirrel at about 50 yards.

By the way, anyone know why I' m getting an October issue at the end of July! Are the people in the publishing business unaware of the date? [&:]
Old 08-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your lungs are going to need more adjustment than your arrows. At 9,000 you can tell the oxygen is getting a little less concentrated. You have to take deeper slower breaths, especially when that monster elk bugles out there in front of you.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

anyone know why I' m getting an October issue at the end of July! Are the people in the publishing business unaware of the date?
The sooner they get the fall issues out, the sooner they can go on their tour of guided ranches.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you shoot like Randy Ulmer you would probably be able to tell a noticeable difference. For a mere mortal like me I haven' t been able to tell any big difference concerning point of impact on any of my adventures out west as far as the altitude goes. My lungs complained a lot though.

It can be tricky shooting at farther distances up or down the side of the mountain though. On a fairly steep hillside for me it is much more tricky than shooting out of a treestand when the distance gets past 40 yards.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 AM

I' ve hunted many times in the mountains and never had to adjust. I' ve practiced at our camp out to 80 yards without a noticable difference. The swirling wind will give you more fits than the " thin air" take a puffer with you and make sure you use it.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:03 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Don' t forget that you' re farther from the earth' s center, which means less gravitational attraction, which will make your arrows fly at least 0.001" higher at 100 yards.