Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tunning Broadheads

Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Spike

Default Tunning Broadheads

Hey all,

New to the forum and I would like to thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I am currently in the process of tunning 125 grain magnus three blade snuffers. I have used the easton tunning guide and followed many of the procedures outlined in that manual and have in my opinion tunned my bow quite well. http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf Very good resource btw. At this point I have paper tuned and I have also tuned my bow shooting non fletched and fletched arrows making appropriate adjustments.

I am at the stage now where I am trying to get my broad heads to group with my field points. Thus far at 20 yds I have been able to get my broadheads to group 3 inches left and 2 inces low of my field point group. The broad head group is tight. Roughly 3 inch diameter. Is this as good as I can expect? Should I just live with this or can I do better. Ideally I would like to have my broadheads group dead on with my field points. I am already shopping for shafts in different spline weight and thinking about playing around with broadhead weight. According to the easton manual, 'if your broadheads are grouping left of field points you spline is to weak'. I may go up to 150grain broadheads in order to get more flex in the shaft.

Any suggestions? I would like to eliminate having to spend money on new arrows or broadheads at this point but I also want to get these broadheads driving tacks.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you have correct spine, no fletch contact, etc....

If broadheads impact left of fieldpoints, moving the rest to the right a very small amount (like 1/16" or less for each adjustment) should correct it.

If broadheads hit low of fieldpoints, move the rest up (or the nock point down) very slightly.

If you think your spine is weak, go to a lighter head. This will increase the spine. Another way to adjust for spine is to increase your draw weight (decreases spine) or decrease weight (increases spine).

Before messing too much with broadheads, walk-back tune with fieldpoints. There's lots of info. if you search here for it.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Spike

thanks for the input
Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

X2 you can do a search on this site. I have illustration pictures to help. But move your rest either up or to the right but not both until you get one right, then adjust the other. I hope you understand what I mean.
Pat