Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

KE help for the new guy

Old 08-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default KE help for the new guy

Well first I would like to say hello from VA to everyone, I have done some looking around the board and liked what I saw alot, seems like a lot of friendly folks on here so I figured I would throw my hat in thr ring as well..

NOw to my first( maybe of many lol ) question. I would like to know the KE of my bow and maybe how you figure that out..

2003 Hoyt Supertech with the spiral cam and 1/2 set up
WB qs rest
29" draw
set right on 70 lbs per the scale
30" Pse carbons @ 349 grains total weight with head
chrono speed of 310 fps

also I see you all talking about different little fine tuning things such as twisting your string, I have not done that how would I do it and how much would it help, any other little fine tunning? I shot for awhile then took a few year break and have been shoting for a couple of years but now I want to get more into the tech side of my bow... I love shoting and would love to be able to tweak little things myself....

thanks for any info.....

Justin
Old 08-02-2003, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KE help for the new guy

74 ft-lbs KE.
How do I come to that conclusion?
I get lazy and type in the numbers on bowjackson.com' s website.
There is a formula, but as long as I' m sitting in front of a computer I punch the # and wait a milla second or two for the answer.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum, eng!

If you' d like to have the formula, it' s arrow speed squared times arrow weight, divided by 450240.

So:

(310^2 X 349)/450240 = 74.49 ft lbs

Like DaveC says though, it' s just as easy to plug in the numbers on Jackson' s site. Probably better than having formulas cluttering up your brain cells.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a hunting setup you could shoot a heavier arrow & still have good speed, around 270-280. That would give you more momentum, increasing penetration should you hit bone. I' m surprised you didn' t point that out Arthur (the heavier arrow).
Old 08-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Naaah, I' m taking a rest from that campaign. Experience is the best teacher.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You see there, buy not being lazy and using the actual formula, you picked up a half ft/lb of KE!!!

Shows what lazyness will get ya[:' (].
Old 08-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info about KE and the formula to figure it out! I leanr somethign everytime I come on here, I feel like I just picked up a bow for the first time lol !!!