Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Loop Help

Old 07-30-2003, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default String Loop Help

I guess I may need some reassurance on this. I just put on my first string loop. I think that I have tried every other way to shoot except the string loop. I went from shooting a string release set up, but kind of liked the idea of the string loop because I will be able to leave my release on the bow while hunting. Using the string release takes too much time to load while hunting. Anyway, I am pretty good at tying things on the string, from serving, nocks, cat whiskers, etc, etc.

I tied the loop exactly as follows:

http://www.fulldrawarchery.com/Docum...tring_loop.htm

The loop is on and I shot about 30 arrows with it yesterday, but I have no confidence that the loop will hold. It seems that the main thing that is holding the knot together is the mushroom burnt on the ends. Is this the same way that you tie on your loops. Anybody ever have them fail? Thanks.

Old 07-30-2003, 07:18 AM

Default RE: String Loop Help

I was worried about them pulling out also when I first started using them. Get a pair of long nose plyers in the loop and open them up - one arm pressed against the string the other into the loop - this will tighten it up real good. That knot gets real tight and now I have no worries about it coming off.

Fray up the ends about 1/4" before you melt them and you can get a big ball.

I do tie it diff than shown - I like to have the knots facing oposite ways so the loop starts from both sides of the string (not one side like shown) IMO this centers the loop behind the string and not to one side
Old 07-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I personally have not ever tied my own loop on, but looking at your link, it is the same knot that all of the shops have used on my existing loops.
That being said, I have never had one fail.

The mushroom on the end of the string does not actually hold that much weight. It simply prevents the end from pulling through the knot (and also fraying). When you pull your bow back, this slight tension on the mushroom causes the rest of the knot to tighten around the string (and itself) and secure it. The knot is actually held by the friction of the coils in the string aganst each other and the bow string.

I would bet that if you tied a loop on, and left the ends a little long and unmelted you could shoot the loop securely. The fraying would drive you crazy (tickle the side of your mouth) but it would hold secure.

You say that you have about 30 shots through your rig with the loop. At this point the loop is probably about as tight as it will get, and should be secure.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto Rack-attack' s advice. Especially the part about having the knots facing opposite directions. I like the top loop facing the sight window and the bottom loop facing outboard. That keeps the loop from twisting on the draw and, I feel, makes for a smoother release.

I also wax the snot out of the loop to keep it stiff. That holds the loop open and makes it easier and quicker to get hooked up. And it cuts down on wear and makes the loop last longer.

If I ever go back to using a release, I won' t shoot without a loop.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:35 AM

Relax if you tied it on based on that drawing it`s on correct and will not undue. Like others here have said I too didn`t trust mine when i first started using one but now would never switch to anything else.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with you on this one. I put on my first loop for my first release. Been a fingers shooter for yrs. So I was really nervous about the whole switch over thing. I tied it like directions said, mushroomed the ends. Pulled on the loop with pliers. Got up the guts to try it, no problem. I was still nervous so placed a couple small drops of super glue onto the mushrooms as added bonus. I' ve now put well over 100shots easily on this loop, and not a sign of any loosening at all. I can' t shoot at the same spot @20yds because I' m tearing up my fletches and wacking my arrows. I' m now back to 40 & 50yds practicing, and grouping better then I could before w/fingers. I' m no longer nervous, and real confident.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, I will tie it the opposite way on the next loop that I put on. I think that I will be OK with it after I get a little more confidence in it. But right now, when I' m shooting, I am being over cautious probably and making sure that I don' t draw back to my face.

I would bet that if you tied a loop on, and left the ends a little long and unmelted you could shoot the loop securely. The fraying would drive you crazy (tickle the side of your mouth) but it would hold secure.
No, this didn' t work. That is the same thing that I thought the first time I put the loop on. The loop seems to need that extra mushroom in order for it to stop slipping. When I tried without the mushroom, it kept slipping. That is one of the reasons that I am a little concerned. But as long as that mushroom holds, I would think that it would be OK.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]