Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy Zero Effect in/around St. Louis...question?

Old 07-29-2003, 08:55 PM

Default Muzzy Zero Effect in/around St. Louis...question?

How many of you guys are shooting this rest and what do you think about it? I had all but made my mind up to try this rest. I had read so many great threads on this site, and others, regarding this " awesome" rest that I assumed I might be one of the last few that hasn' t tried it. That is until today. I was " out and about" today so I decided to drop by a couple of Pro Shops, very large pro shops I might add, and check on pricing. The first place I asked, " do you got any Muzzy ZE' s?" He said, " I got one, and if you want to buy it then I' ll order one more to replace it." Kind of dumb founded by his reply, because of the review' s I' ve read, I asked, " you not sell many?" He claimed he had sold a total of two since he started carrying them and had problems with both, one in which he gave a full refund after replacing the cable slide, hook and linkage arm. Needless to say he didn' t recommend it. Thinking this has got to be a fluke, thinking the guy probably had a bad taste in his mouth and doesn' t push them to sell anymore, I need another opinion. So I " high tailed it" down the road to next Pro Shop, again a large shop and quite frankly the place I would tend to purchase from. I asked the same questions and the guys reply was, " I have yet to sell one or install one." Now I don' t know what to think, I felt like they stamped " STUPID" across my forehead or something. These are two of the largest archery pro shops in Central Illinois, I mean beautiful multi-thousand sq. ft. facilities, bows, sights, and other gear out the butt and a number of employees that would make Wal-Mart look small and combined they had sold a total of two. My trip back into Missouri didn' t get any better. On my way home I called a new little " dinky" " mom & pop" shop just down the road from my house. The lady said, " we don' t carry' em but I can order you one." I said, " you guys don' t sell and install these rests?" She said, " I know my husband would love to help you but to my knowledge you' re the first person that has asked about them."

What the heck is going on" Did Muzzy forget to market these things in the midwest. I had fully intended on doing the install myself but it would be nice to have a little support if something goes wrong. These Yoo-Hoo' s around here won' t know anything more than I do.

A total of two ZE installations, 3 shops, across 125 mile stretch from Effingham, IL to St. Louis, MO and one place doesn' t even carry them.

Toby
Old 07-29-2003, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Muzzy Zero Effect in/around St. Louis...question?

Toby, Im in central Mo about two hours southwest of STL. Two of the three nearby proshops have installed literally hundreds. In fact I had to wait for a month to get my first Muzzy rest because he had a full page list of people wanting them. He still sells them as fast as he can get them in, as does the shop about 30 miles away. There is one shop nearby that dont carry them but the owner just has something against them. I love both of mine and would recommend it to anyone, if you want to come down and get one installed I can make sure he has some in stock.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:37 PM
nub

I just purchased my second MZE rest. Great rest with great people standing behind them.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:32 PM

Toby,

I bet I' ve been in the shops you' re speaking about.

In my opinion most of these shops don' t sell/install the MZE is because with the linkage, etc. they can be a little intimidating. It does take a little time to understand what/how to cut/install. It' s not rocket science but it' s not like installing a TM hunter either. The other reason I would guess is cost. They are a little more expensive than other fall aways or fixed rests and if they already are a little leary of the installation process it' s makes sense that it wouldn' t be a rest that they " pushed" . Anyway, that' s my guess. I may be totally off the mark. I think you' ll find a lot of people on the board shoot this rest and really like it.

BTW, I have a MZE rest installed on my Q2XL and love it! My right/left misses totally disappeared. Incidentally, I had Len install it on my bow when he did some other work. He did a great job!
Old 07-30-2003, 06:20 AM

Toby from Mo, call me at muzzy, 800-222-7769 and lets talk. I believe i can help if you want a ze-rest. I will even put it on for you if you will send me your bow and a couple arrows. Eric
Old 07-30-2003, 09:21 PM

Eric,

Like I said on the phone today, I picked up a Zero Effect at Bass Pro this afternoon. I didn' t need any stink' n support after all. The few tips you gave me over the phone was enough. I took my time installing. I had my old rest and sights off with the Zero Effect and new sights back on in a little under two hours, this included eating lunch while watching the entire video from front to back. This thing looks great on the bow, I can' t waite to give it a test run.

One question...., remember this is on an Ultra Max, In the final stages of installation, when I was installing the turnbuckle sleeve onto the the cable slide, I noticed that the outer edge of the cable slide sticks out very slightly further than the inner edge of the main arm, turnbuckle and turnbuckle sleeve. They didn' t match up perfectly. I realize you have to apply slight pressure to get the turnbuckle sleeve out far enough to slide it on the " screw position" of the cable slide but I noticed it actually hit the bottom edge of the cable slide when I intitially " swung" it up into position. I had to apply a little additional outward pressure on the arm, turnbuckle and turnbuckle sleeve in order to get it out far enough to slide onto the cable slide. Visually there seams to be a very slight angle in the turnbuckle sleeve but it all moves rather freely. Is this normal?

Thanks again,
Toby
Old 07-31-2003, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Glad you made up your mind on the ZE. I really like mine. Most shops don' t know much about this rest. When I bought mine, it was the first time the shop installed a ZE. It wasn' t installed correctly. So I got a new turnbuckle (no cost) from Muzzy and install it myself. Everything is going great for two years now. Goodluck with yours and enjoy shooting!